Register to reply

Derivation for E = V/d? (capacitors)

Share this thread:
plazprestige
May3-12, 03:03 PM
P: 21
One of the formulas I came across while doing problems with simple parallel plate capacitors was E = V/d, where E is the magnitude of the electric field between the plates, V is the potential difference between the plates, and d is the separation of the plates. I'm wondering where this formula is derived from.

I know that the electric field between the two plates of a capacitor is constant (except near the edges), but am not sure how that would play into the explanation.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New study refines biological evolution model
Fiber optic light pipes in the retina do much more than simple image transfer
Production phase for LSST camera sensors nears
olivermsun
May3-12, 03:12 PM
P: 581
Think of the definitions of electric field and electric potential, and then think of W = F d.
plazprestige
May3-12, 03:28 PM
P: 21
well the definition of an electric field is F/q, where q is in the field, and the definition of electric potential is electrical potential energy divided by charge.

E = F/q
V = E/q
W = Fd

So by substitution, W = Eqd

I want to get to E = V/d so I'll solve for E...

E = W/qd

So W/q is somehow equal to V? So W/q = E/q

And by the work energy theorem, W = delta E, and the voltage in E = V/d is in fact a potential difference.

Thanks! I literally reasoned that out while typing. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

jtbell
May3-12, 03:46 PM
Mentor
P: 11,587
Derivation for E = V/d? (capacitors)

Quote Quote by plazprestige View Post
well the definition of an electric field is F/q, where q is in the field, and the definition of electric potential is electrical potential energy divided by charge.

[...snippety snip...]

So W/q is somehow equal to V?
Like you said at the beginning of your post...

Register to reply