Register to reply

Derivation for E = V/d? (capacitors)

Share this thread:
plazprestige
May3-12, 03:03 PM
P: 21
One of the formulas I came across while doing problems with simple parallel plate capacitors was E = V/d, where E is the magnitude of the electric field between the plates, V is the potential difference between the plates, and d is the separation of the plates. I'm wondering where this formula is derived from.

I know that the electric field between the two plates of a capacitor is constant (except near the edges), but am not sure how that would play into the explanation.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
olivermsun
May3-12, 03:12 PM
P: 649
Think of the definitions of electric field and electric potential, and then think of W = F d.
plazprestige
May3-12, 03:28 PM
P: 21
well the definition of an electric field is F/q, where q is in the field, and the definition of electric potential is electrical potential energy divided by charge.

E = F/q
V = E/q
W = Fd

So by substitution, W = Eqd

I want to get to E = V/d so I'll solve for E...

E = W/qd

So W/q is somehow equal to V? So W/q = E/q

And by the work energy theorem, W = delta E, and the voltage in E = V/d is in fact a potential difference.

Thanks! I literally reasoned that out while typing. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

jtbell
May3-12, 03:46 PM
Mentor
P: 11,625
Derivation for E = V/d? (capacitors)

Quote Quote by plazprestige View Post
well the definition of an electric field is F/q, where q is in the field, and the definition of electric potential is electrical potential energy divided by charge.

[...snippety snip...]

So W/q is somehow equal to V?
Like you said at the beginning of your post...

Register to reply