Expansion of a gas at constant temperature and pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done by a gas expanding at constant temperature against different pressures. The first case, against a vacuum, results in no work being done. The second and third cases, against constant pressures of 1.5atm and 2.8, respectively, require the use of the equation W = -∫ P dv. Converting from mL to m^3 is recommended for simplicity.
leah3000

Homework Statement

A gas expands in volume from 26.7mL to 89.3mL at constant temperature. Calculate the work done (in joule) if the gas expands:
i) against a vacuum
ii) against constant pressure of 1.5atm
iii) against a constant pressure of 2.8

Homework Equations

w= -PdV

gas expands at constant temperature= isothemic expansion

The Attempt at a Solution

i) I'm not sure about this part

ii) 1atm= 1.013x10^5 Pa

P= 1.5x 1.013x10^5 = 151950 Pa

I converted ml to m^3 (am i supposed to do this?)

26.7/ 1x10^6 = 2.67x10^-5 m^3

8.93/ 1x10^6 = 8.93x10^-5 m^3

w= -PdV

w= - (151950)x (8.93x10^-5 -2.67x10^-5)

w= -9.512 J

iii) I did the same working for this part as above

P= 2.8 x 1.013x10^5

P= 283640 Pa

w= - (283640) x (8.93x10^-5 -2.67x10^-5)

w= -17.756 J

am I doing this correct? or do I use the equation ln V2/V1 P ?

Physics news on Phys.org
i) That's free expansion; It's as if the gas is 'doing work' by pushing a massless piston in space since there's no opposing force as the gas expands.

ii & iii) It's isothermal expansion, so P varies as the volume changes. The equation W = -P ∆V doesn't work anymore and W = -∫ P dv, is used instead.

Also, yeah, it's better to convert ml to cubic meters since it's simpler to keep everything in the MKS system of units.

1. Why does a gas expand at constant temperature and pressure?

The expansion of a gas at constant temperature and pressure is due to the kinetic energy of the gas particles. As the temperature remains constant, the particles move with the same average energy. However, as the volume increases, the particles have more space to move around, causing them to exert a larger force on the container walls, resulting in expansion.

2. What is the relationship between volume and pressure in gas expansion at constant temperature?

According to Boyle's Law, at a constant temperature, the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to the pressure. This means that as the volume increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa.

3. How does the expansion of a gas at constant temperature and pressure affect its density?

The density of a gas is directly proportional to its pressure and inversely proportional to its volume. Therefore, as the gas expands at constant temperature and pressure, its density decreases.

4. What is the equation for calculating the change in volume during gas expansion at constant temperature and pressure?

The equation for calculating the change in volume during gas expansion at constant temperature and pressure is V2 = V1 * (P1 / P2), where V1 is the initial volume, V2 is the final volume, P1 is the initial pressure, and P2 is the final pressure.

5. How does the expansion of a gas at constant temperature and pressure relate to the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, states that the product of pressure and volume of a gas is directly proportional to the number of moles of the gas, temperature, and the universal gas constant. In the case of expansion at constant temperature and pressure, the number of moles, temperature, and gas constant remain constant, so the product of pressure and volume also remains constant.