What are you currently reading?

by Infinitum
Tags: reading
Infinitum
May6-12, 02:31 AM
P: 836
Hey people,

I believe this would be a good way to find out new(probably good ) books, so just as it says on the tin, what are you reading now?

I currently alternate between Simon Singh's Fermat's Last Theorem, and Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan. Nearly finished both so I can surely use some suggestions!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
BobG
May6-12, 06:43 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,275
I'm currently waiting for a new book to arrive: "Chasing Venus, The Race to Measure the Heavens".

I'm kind of psyched for the upcoming transit of Venus. I bought a ND16 filter for my camera hoping to get a decent picture of both the annular solar eclipse and the transit of Venus (and, naturally, after being sunny all day, the clouds blew in front of the Sun just I got home to try it out). I'm hoping an ND16 will be enough, as I've never taken pictures of the Sun before. But it definitely does make a difference when you just hold it up and look at the Sun (as I did outside the camera store). Ideally, I'm hoping to get enough clarity that I can see some sunspots (we are in the middle of a solar max). And, of course, I'm hoping to block enough of the light that the telephoto lens doesn't result in my camera being burned like an ant.

I took some decent pictures of the full moon this morning, to at least get a feel for the amount of zoom I need to size the Sun in the frame (the Moon and Sun appear approximately the same size, hence the solar eclipses). We'll hopefully see how much detail the ND16 filter gets me for the Sun today.
Adyssa
May6-12, 07:33 PM
P: 186
I'm reading this one at the moment:

A Life of Discovery: Michael Faraday, Giant of the Scientific Revolution - James Hamilton, and I agree with the first review over @ Amazon, it's a great biography but the author skims over some scientific details in favour of the more ... human story, which is both refreshing, and a pity.

and I just bought:

For Whom The Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway, and I can't wait to read it. I fell head over heels for The Old Man And The Sea when I read it earlier this year (amazing book!) and I bought this hoping for something equally as good - the reviews are all great. :)

@Infinitum - you mention Singh's book on Fermat's Last Theorem, I'd like to read that - I have The Code Book by the same author, on the history of cryptography, and it was excellent!

Integral
May6-12, 07:39 PM
Mentor
P: 7,292

What are you currently reading?

The memoir of Gen. W.T. Sherman of the US Civil war.
Danger
May6-12, 08:11 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,961
This thread, but I'm almost finished.
zoobyshoe
May6-12, 10:17 PM
P: 5,616
Last week I read The Roman Invasion of Britain. Then I read Chinatown: Portrait of a Closed Society. Today I finished The Monster of Florence by Preston & Spezi.

The last contains, in part, a scathing portrait of the Italian prosecutor who went after Amanda Knox, if you followed that story. He is rabid and paranoid and has been trying to "uncover" a satanic cult in Italy for years, a cult for which he has never been able to produce one shred of evidence. He spent years arresting and jailing alleged cult members for the "murder" of a doctor, who had, in fact, simply fallen from a boat and drowned. He's under indictment for that whole farce, but, inexplicably, was allowed to continue to work in the meantime, during which he invented the whole new twist on his satanic cult obsession, this time including Knox. A book guaranteed to leave you outraged.
Saladsamurai
May6-12, 10:40 PM
P: 3,012
Currently half-way through The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky and I am really enjoying it.
phylotree
May6-12, 10:50 PM
P: 50
phylotree is on his way to Origins:Fourteen Billion Years Of Cosmic Evolution by Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Donald Goldsmith
Ryan_m_b
May7-12, 05:45 AM
Mentor
P: 5,350
Current non-fiction: Humanizing the Economy: Co-operatives in the Age of Capital by John Restakis. A really interesting read about the history and modern progression of the co-operative movement and how new practices with new technologies are allowing co-operatives world wide to out-compete corporates in areas they previously could not hope to.

Current fiction: A Song of Fire and Ice series. I watched the Game of Thrones for the first time a month or so ago and have devoured my way through most of the books. If you like tales of swords, kings and kingdoms with a dash of fantasy then you might like to try it.
Jimmy Snyder
May7-12, 06:18 AM
P: 2,163
Fiction: The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Doyle.
Nonfiction: On the Origin of Species by Darwin.
Infinitum
May7-12, 08:43 AM
Quote Quote by Adyssa View Post
@Infinitum - you mention Singh's book on Fermat's Last Theorem, I'd like to read that - I have The Code Book by the same author, on the history of cryptography, and it was excellent!
I've read The Code Book and Big Bang too, and they're both pretty awesome. I just finished Fermat's Last Theorem, and I found it the best of the three, but that's probably biased because I love math stuff.

Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
Last week I read The Roman Invasion of Britain. Then I read Chinatown: Portrait of a Closed Society. Today I finished The Monster of Florence by Preston & Spezi.

The last contains, in part, a scathing portrait of the Italian prosecutor who went after Amanda Knox, if you followed that story. He is rabid and paranoid and has been trying to "uncover" a satanic cult in Italy for years, a cult for which he has never been able to produce one shred of evidence. He spent years arresting and jailing alleged cult members for the "murder" of a doctor, who had, in fact, simply fallen from a boat and drowned. He's under indictment for that whole farce, but, inexplicably, was allowed to continue to work in the meantime, during which he invented the whole new twist on his satanic cult obsession, this time including Knox. A book guaranteed to leave you outraged.

I was* SO confused

Quote Quote by Ryan_m_b View Post
Current fiction: A Song of Fire and Ice series. I watched the Game of Thrones for the first time a month or so ago and have devoured my way through most of the books. If you like tales of swords, kings and kingdoms with a dash of fantasy then you might like to try it.
I had heard of this one earlier, but it slipped my mind Thanks for reminding! It turns out my local library has these too(of a modest little collection) so that's a plus.

Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Nonfiction: On the Origin of Species by Darwin.
Gonna give this one a go. Thanks
zoobyshoe
May7-12, 09:51 AM
Quote Quote by Infinitum View Post

I am SO confused
About?
Infinitum
May7-12, 10:21 AM
Amanda Knox's story popping in out of no-where. I assumed she was a fictional character....
And the satanic cult....

Google helped, though.
zoobyshoe
May7-12, 11:12 AM
Quote Quote by Infinitum View Post
Amanda Knox's story popping in out of no-where. I assumed she was a fictional character....
And the satanic cult....

Google helped, though.
It's a non-fiction book, yes. She was actually jailed in Italy for four years because of a crazy prosecutor who got his belief in her guilt from a psychic channeling a dead priest.
Mépris
May10-12, 08:51 AM
P: 826
- Caligula by Albert Camus
- Le Mythe de Sisysphe by Albert Camus

When I'm done with that, I will start "The Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan.
rollcast
May10-12, 09:00 AM
P: 418
Just finished 1984 by George Orwell and Freakonomics by Levitt and Dubner. I'm on the last chapter of their second book SuperFreakonomics and plan to go on to Free Lunch by David Smith and A breif History of Time by Stephen Hawking.

I might also take a look at either some Shakespeare or A clockwork orange for a nice fiction read.
Whovian
May10-12, 09:59 AM
P: 642
Spiral by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams.
Monique
May10-12, 01:34 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,622
I'm reading the City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers.

I picked it up from the bookstore shelve because of the catching title, great cover illustration and the exclamation mark "best book ever!" I left it on the shelve for a year and have now started reading it and it really is a nice adventure-type book, a recommendation.

Register to reply