Register to reply

Easiest way for two men to lift a pipe

by voyager221
Tags: easiest, lift, pipe
Share this thread:
voyager221
May6-12, 11:51 PM
P: 19
If rope is wrapped around a pipe and two men are lifting it up why is it easier to lift when the rope is loose around the pipe (A) and harder when the rope is tied tightly to the pipe in a knot at both ends (B) ?

I presumed this was because on A the weight is less concentrated?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Three's a charm: NIST detectors reveal entangled photon triplets
How did evolution optimize circadian clocks?
New webcast series brings cutting-edge physics talks to the world
haruspex
May7-12, 03:43 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,919
I'm guessing a bit at the diagram...
Rope attached to one end of pipe, rises at angle theta to horizontal to first porter, proceeds horizontal to second porter, descends at angle theta to attach to other end of pipe. And the question is, why does a longer rope (greater theta) make it easier on the porters?
Pipe weight W, tension in rope T = W cosec(theta)/2.
To balance the tension locally, each porter has to pull at angle theta/2 to vertical with force F = 2T sin(theta/2).
Thus F = W sec(theta/2)/2. This is minimised when theta is 0.
So it doesn't support your observation.
Maybe I have the diagram wrong.

Register to reply