Register to reply

Probability Question. Find the probability that F_{X}(x) will be less than 1, etc

by mah062
Tags: probability
Share this thread:
mah062
May7-12, 07:33 PM
P: 3
1) (1 pt) You are investigating a random phenomenon and have determined that the cumulative distribution function F_{X}(x):=P(X<x) of the random variable X has values F_{X}(1)=.5, F_{X}(2)=.74, F_{X}(3)=.92

A) Less than 1 _____

B) Larger than 2 _____

C) Between 1 and 3 _____

2) Equations: None that I know of that pertain to this particular problem.

3) Part A:
0.5+0.74+0.92=2.16

So... 0.5/2.16=0.23148 Or 23.148%

I tried this for each part. I'm looking through my notes but they only have probability questions with equations.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
Curious3141
May7-12, 08:04 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,949
Quote Quote by mah062 View Post
1) (1 pt) You are investigating a random phenomenon and have determined that the cumulative distribution function F_{X}(x):=P(X<x) of the random variable X has values F_{X}(1)=.5, F_{X}(2)=.74, F_{X}(3)=.92

A) Less than 1 _____

B) Larger than 2 _____

C) Between 1 and 3 _____

2) Equations: None that I know of that pertain to this particular problem.

3) Part A:
0.5+0.74+0.92=2.16

So... 0.5/2.16=0.23148 Or 23.148%

I tried this for each part. I'm looking through my notes but they only have probability questions with equations.
You're given the cumulative distribution function (CDF). That gives the probability that X will be LESS than a given value x.

So what does [itex]F_X(1)[/itex] signify? The answer to part a) is immediate.

Can you now figure out the other two parts?
mah062
May11-12, 02:24 PM
P: 3
Solved. Thank you!

Register to reply