Calculating distance between two Accelerometers

• Thread starter snocavotia
  • Start date
In summary, using accelerometers to track the location of an object is not a reliable method due to their limited sensitivity and the interference of local masses. Other methods such as radio triangulation, light, and sonar can be used for higher accuracy. However, even with these methods, integrating the acceleration twice can lead to significant errors in position. Therefore, a combination of techniques is often used to improve accuracy.
snocavotia
Is it possible to have one accelerometer placed at ground level and one in your hand. and without either moving use the difference in Gravity's pull to calculate distance or rather height of the second accelerometer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really. Accelerometers aren't sensitive enough to begin with, but even if you take a sufficiently sensitive gravity probe, the variation due to local masses will be greater than variation due to height change.

well then i have another question, I've been trying to find a way to track the location of something that is > 2ft away < 10 ft away. is there any way to do this, i have looked at radio triangulation, light, etc but i cannot find anything.

If you calibrate it to pressure and temperature, a sonar should give you very high accuracy in such a range.

I'm not sure exactly what you're doing, but using strictly accelerometers to track the motion of something is a lot more difficult than it would seem, even if the thing is moving. Theoretically, if you know the acceleration and initial conditions, you can easily find the position by integrating twice. The problem is, when you do it numerically, tiny errors in acceleration lead to enormous errors in position. Some friends and I played around with tracking a smart phone using its accelerometer but found that after even 10 seconds or so, the position wasn't even accurate to within a few metres, and it gets much worse as time progresses. We didn't do much more in the way of actual testing, but research found that sonar popped up a lot, and we also found that usually a variety of methods are coupled together, which can improve accuracy.

1. How do I calculate the distance between two accelerometers?

To calculate the distance between two accelerometers, you will need to measure the acceleration of each accelerometer at two different points in time. Then, using the formula distance = 0.5 * acceleration * time^2, you can calculate the distance traveled by each accelerometer. Finally, you can find the difference between the two distances to determine the distance between the two accelerometers.

2. What units should I use when calculating distance between two accelerometers?

The units used for acceleration should be in meters per second squared (m/s^2) and the units for time should be in seconds (s). This will result in the distance being measured in meters (m).

3. Can I use the same formula for calculating distance between two accelerometers in any scenario?

The formula distance = 0.5 * acceleration * time^2 is specifically for calculating the distance between two accelerometers in a linear motion scenario. If there is any other type of motion involved, such as circular motion, a different formula would need to be used.

4. Can I calculate the distance between two accelerometers without knowing the exact time interval?

No, the time interval is a crucial component in the formula for calculating distance between two accelerometers. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately determine the distance traveled.

5. Is there a more accurate way to calculate distance between two accelerometers?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to calculate the distance between two accelerometers, such as using a GPS system or triangulation. However, these methods may require additional equipment and may not be as precise in certain scenarios.