Quantum mechanics books

by Rackhir
Tags: books, mechanics, quantum
Share this thread:
Rackhir
May7-12, 12:07 PM
P: 17
Hello everyone
I know that they are many threads already on this topic, but i'm still not convinced. I'm currently taking a course in modern physics, and, as i thought i would be, I'm fascinated with QM. Why i'm studyin engineering and not physics is something i don't have clear.
Anyway, my courses us the Eisberg-Resnick book, so it's quite introductory. So what should be my next step? something rigorous, but with a introduction on the math formalism (i'm quite blind in bra kets). I was thinking of Townsend "A moder approach to Quantum Mechanics", but i need a little more background i think, i am right?
My math background is four courses of analysis (real and complex calculus, DE) and two courses of linear algebra.
Regards and thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion
stevenb
May7-12, 12:37 PM
P: 697
Quote Quote by Rackhir View Post
So what should be my next step? something rigorous, but with a introduction on the math formalism (i'm quite blind in bra kets).
Sakurai provides a great intro to the bra-ket notation and formalism.

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Quantum...12094&sr=8-2#_

Then, there is always the classic by Dirac himself. - Nothing like getting it from the horse's mouth.

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Qua...6412207&sr=1-1
naele
May8-12, 12:47 PM
P: 202
The classic book to transition out of modern physics is Griffiths. Griffiths is well known to have a nice conversational engaging style. And Chapter 3 gives you exactly what you want. Also he has appendices that fill in the rest of the mathematics that are pre-requisite. Alternatively, I'd like to suggest a text I discovered a recently that's really good, the author's name is Nouredine Zettili.

Rackhir
May8-12, 01:23 PM
P: 17
Quantum mechanics books

Thank both for the income. I'm guessing that Griffiths is the best choice now, although i'm still interested in Townsend or Sakurai. And i have to take a deeper look int Nouredine Zettili contents. Thanks!

Register to reply