Johnson noise and a magnetic field

In summary: From an experimental perspective, measuring noise in a conductivity experiment would be a different task than measuring fluctuations in voltage drop.
Isaiah Gray
Would the frequency spectrum of Johnson noise change at all when a magnetic field is applied? My guess is not much, since the field changes only the direction of motion of the electrons, not their speed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you interested in Johnson noise in resistors, where the original noise was identified? I am asking because magnetic field is usually applied to Hall probes, which, in turn, are semiconducting. But, there is excess [itex]1/f[/itex] noise in semiconductors.

Yes; I am specifically interested in an external magnetic field applied to water and electrolytic solutions.

Oh my, this sounds as a pretty complicated problem. The charge transport phenomena in electrolytes are highly non-linear, so a simple conductivity cannot captured the whole physics. Besides, because ions have significant mass, charge transport is coupled to diffusion, as well as thermal conduction. A thermal fluctuation in any of these induces a fluctuation in electric properties. Besides, the geometry of the electrodes might be an important factor.

So I guess measuring noise in conductivity wouldn't tell me much then? Man, I just wanted a simple experiment with water and magnetic fields. Maybe if I measured noise in a solid, it would be easier.

No, you can do that. There are standard setups for measuring conductivity of electrolytes. Measuring noise refers to measuring fluctuations in voltage drop, however. From an experimental point of view, you need to be clear what you measure. From a theoretical point of view, I think the conductivity is used to express the fluctuations, and, is a more convenient quantity for calculations. Nevertheless, you need to be aware of the physical connection between what you measure and what is used in calculations.

But, when you say water, you have to bear in mind that pure distilled water is actually a very good insulator! The conductivity of an electrolyte is strongly dependent on the concentration.

You asked a question if the spectrum of Johnson noise would change if magnetic field is applied:
1) As far as I know, Johnson noise is specifically referred to metal conductors, where the charge carriers are free electrons. Electrolytes are radically different than this. Therefore, one should not expect the white spectrum to necessarily hold for electrolytes, although it might.

2) Magnetic fields affect ions differently than free electrons, mainly because of the large mass and low mobility of ions.

So, I just wanted to point out these differences.

1. What is Johnson noise?

Johnson noise, also known as thermal noise or Gaussian noise, is the random fluctuations in electric current or voltage that occur in all electronic devices at finite temperatures. It is caused by the thermal agitation of electrons in a conductor, and is present in both active and passive components such as resistors, transistors, and capacitors.

2. What is the relationship between Johnson noise and temperature?

The amplitude of Johnson noise is directly proportional to the temperature of the system. As temperature increases, the thermal energy of the electrons also increases, resulting in higher amplitude of the noise. This relationship is described by the Johnson-Nyquist equation: V2 = 4kTRΔf, where V is the voltage noise, k is Boltzmann's constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, R is the resistance, and Δf is the bandwidth.

3. How does a magnetic field affect Johnson noise?

A magnetic field can affect Johnson noise in two ways. First, it can alter the resistance of the conductor, which in turn affects the amplitude of the noise. Second, it can cause a phenomenon called magnetostriction, where the physical dimensions of the conductor change in the presence of a magnetic field. This can result in changes in the resistance and therefore affect the Johnson noise.

4. Can Johnson noise be reduced or eliminated?

Johnson noise is an inherent part of electronic devices and cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be reduced by using components with lower resistance, operating at lower temperatures, or using shielding to minimize the effect of external magnetic fields.

5. How is Johnson noise used in scientific research?

Johnson noise is a useful tool in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. Its random nature can be utilized in experiments to simulate and measure the effects of noise in various systems. It is also used in the design and testing of electronic devices, as well as in the study of materials and their properties at the atomic level.