Register to reply

Projectile Motion is Symmetric

by Bashyboy
Tags: motion, projectile, symmetric
Share this thread:
Bashyboy
May10-12, 04:13 PM
P: 934
Okay, I read that in the case of no air-resistance, projectile motion is symmetric; that the initial velocity will equal the final velocity, in magnitude; and that a projectile traveling upwards, achieving a zero velocity of the vertical component, will have to fall the same horizontal distance during the segment of motion downwards. But, for some odd reason, I just have difficulty grasping this. Is there something I am missing in my understanding? Is there a better way to explain this concept?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Comb on a chip' powers new atomic clock design
Quantum leap in lasers brightens future for quantum computing
Enhanced NIST instrument enables high-speed chemical imaging of tissues
DragonPetter
May10-12, 04:23 PM
P: 834
Quote Quote by Bashyboy View Post
Okay, I read that in the case of no air-resistance, projectile motion is symmetric; that the initial velocity will equal the final velocity, in magnitude; and that a projectile traveling upwards, achieving a zero velocity of the vertical component, will have to fall the same horizontal distance during the segment of motion downwards. But, for some odd reason, I just have difficulty grasping this. Is there something I am missing in my understanding? Is there a better way to explain this concept?
I think one way that might help is to understand all of this motion is with relation to time. If something is moving at a constant velocity in the horizontal direction, and it moves in the positive vertical direction for time t, then it will move in the negative direction for time t also. So, if horizontal velocity is constant, and time t up is equal to time t down, then the horizontal distances going up must be the same as down.

Register to reply