Projectile Motion is Symmetric

by Bashyboy
Tags: motion, projectile, symmetric
Bashyboy
May10-12, 04:13 PM
P: 878
Okay, I read that in the case of no air-resistance, projectile motion is symmetric; that the initial velocity will equal the final velocity, in magnitude; and that a projectile traveling upwards, achieving a zero velocity of the vertical component, will have to fall the same horizontal distance during the segment of motion downwards. But, for some odd reason, I just have difficulty grasping this. Is there something I am missing in my understanding? Is there a better way to explain this concept?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
DragonPetter
May10-12, 04:23 PM
P: 834
Quote Quote by Bashyboy View Post
Okay, I read that in the case of no air-resistance, projectile motion is symmetric; that the initial velocity will equal the final velocity, in magnitude; and that a projectile traveling upwards, achieving a zero velocity of the vertical component, will have to fall the same horizontal distance during the segment of motion downwards. But, for some odd reason, I just have difficulty grasping this. Is there something I am missing in my understanding? Is there a better way to explain this concept?
I think one way that might help is to understand all of this motion is with relation to time. If something is moving at a constant velocity in the horizontal direction, and it moves in the positive vertical direction for time t, then it will move in the negative direction for time t also. So, if horizontal velocity is constant, and time t up is equal to time t down, then the horizontal distances going up must be the same as down.

Register to reply