Register to reply

Does anyone know who administers courses in a university?

by Dens
Tags: administers, courses, university
Share this thread:
May10-12, 04:48 PM
P: 74
The reason I ask this because I have about two conflicts for my timetable and it's holding me back from completing my degree sooner.

Does anyone know who, in a university, handles course conflicts? I know it depends on what university I go to, but could someone give me a general idea?

Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
May10-12, 05:23 PM
jtbell's Avatar
P: 11,868
It would help to at least know what country you're in.

In the USA, I would say, first go to an academic advisor in your major department (assuming these are courses required for your major). Any waivers to the major requirements (e.g. substituting one course for another) generally have to be approved by the department, or at least originate with them for approval by someone higher up in the academic bureaucracy.

If there are multiple sections of the courses involved, you may be able to switch to another section of one course. Even if the course is "full", instructors often have the power to admit you if you ask/beg them nicely enough.
Andy Resnick
May11-12, 08:14 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,541
Just to add, we also have a few student advising centers at the college and university levels to assist with these sorts of problems.

You didn't say what kind of conflict exists, but in general start with the course instructors to at least get some sort of approval. From there you may have to work your way up to the college or university level- for example, course waivers for graduation below 2 credit hours can be approved by the Department, below 4 requires approval from the college (not the Dean- a committee), and beyond that it goes to the Provost.

May11-12, 05:33 PM
P: 74
Does anyone know who administers courses in a university?

I am in Canada, but things should work the same way.

I am thinking of taking the class at a community college, I just hope there is no conflict there too...

The two courses in conflict are indeed requirements, but one of them is an "elective" meaning I could replace it with another "elective" required course, but I don't want to.

So I want I take to Diff Geo, but I could also replace it with Math Bio for my major, but I feel Diff Geo is much more useful for my academic career.

Register to reply

Related Discussions
A question about university courses Academic Guidance 11
Confused about what courses to take at University. Academic Guidance 0
Is it normal in University Physics I and II courses to use mostly Academic Guidance 5
University Courses Academic Guidance 3
Physics courses at university Academic Guidance 5