Microstructure of titanium

by samara.
Tags: microstructure, titanium
Share this thread:
samara.
May26-12, 02:46 PM
P: 3
hey, everyone,

i am really confused about microstructure of titanium,one is deformed and one is original both of them is 20x, have a look at the image attachment,

i know that the grey scratched is twinning and slip marks due to deformation, what about those white parts and black parts?

thank you....
Attached Thumbnails
Ti-Unstressed-Etched-normallight-20x.jpg   Ti-Stressed-Etched-normallight-20x.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
Compact vibration harvester power supply with highest efficiency opens door to "fix-and-forget" sensor nodes
streeters
Jun10-12, 02:22 AM
P: 221
Is this Cp-Ti (commercial purity) or another alloy like Ti-6Al-4V?
I'm guessing it is Cp-Ti because the first picture looks like equiaxed grains of alpha-phase.

The second image looks like widmanstatten phases. Was there a heat treatment on the alloy?
Check out this book on Titanium. It has a few good micrographs you can compare with:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=H...tanium&f=false
samara.
Jun10-12, 11:55 PM
P: 3
hi streeters,

thanks for helping, but this section is done,

the lecture said that...it was relatively pure titanium, the reason why lighter/darker region is due to its own orientation.

i feel it was not very good explaination, but it fits her marking scheme so m gonna settle with that.

Register to reply