by Clausius2
Tags: aircraft
Share this thread:
Clausius2
Dec10-04, 04:58 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,479
See the attached figure. It is the admision system of an aircraft (I think it admits supersonic flight). The air enters by the left side. But I'm not sure what are these two branches. The branch of above is closed (it is a recirculation of fluid there) and the below one is opened, so the air exits by there.

Any suggestion?

I would think the branch of above seems to be the entrance to the compressor, but it is closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Sin título1.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Final pieces to the circadian clock puzzle found
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
How an ancient vertebrate uses familiar tools to build a strange-looking head
russ_watters
Dec10-04, 08:28 AM
Mentor
P: 22,312
Its tough to tell from that pic, but could it be BLEED-AIR?
Higher compression ratios imply larger temperature rises; modern engines only achieve their high compression ratios at high altitude with very cold intake air (around –54 C). When taking off in warmer air they run at lower compression ratios to keep the temperature of the compressed air within turbine temperature limits by bleeding air away from the compressor stages and dumping it overboard.
Clausius2
Dec10-04, 08:47 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,479
Thanks for trying it. After being afraid for that, I have telephoned to one classmate and he has cleared me it up. The higher branch is some closed device for retaining undesired and strange particles. The lower one goes into the turbomachinery.

Anyway, thanks russ. It is a mesh for numerical computation.

Register to reply