Electrons, Protons, Neutrons - Build-stones?

In summary, the answer to this question is that the electron is a fundamental particle that cannot be broken down into smaller parts, protons and neutrons are formed from smaller building blocks called quarks, and atoms are made of a combination of these three particles.
alex1532489
Hello. You'll have to excuse my spelling (If I spelled anything wrong), I'm from Sweden and even though I'm told to be good at English, I'm not an expert.

I literally just found this forum in my search for some kind of physics forum where I could ask the following question:

Are electrons, protons and neutrons build-stones in them-self or is it first when they're combined - making some type of atom they become a build-stone - an atom?

I'm not some kind of physics enthusiast and this is not a question I got from home work. It's simply a question I find interesting, so I told my friend to think about and we came up with two different answers - yes, and no.

Physics news on Phys.org
alex1532489 said:
Hello. You'll have to excuse my spelling (If I spelled anything wrong), I'm from Sweden and even though I'm told to be good at English, I'm not an expert.

I literally just found this forum in my search for some kind of physics forum where I could ask the following question:

Are electrons, protons and neutrons build-stones in them-self or is it first when they're combined - making some type of atom they become a build-stone - an atom?

I'm not some kind of physics enthusiast and this is not a question I got from home work. It's simply a question I find interesting, so I told my friend to think about and we came up with two different answers - yes, and no.

A native English speaker would say "building blocks" instead of "build stones", but that's no big deal - it's clear what you mean.

Yes, the protons, neutrons, and electrons are the building blocks of atoms - every atom is built out of some combination of these three particles. However, only the electron is (as far as we know) a fundamental particle that can't be knocked down into smaller parts; protons and neutrons are formed from smaller building blocks called quarks.

Nugatory said:
A native English speaker would say "building blocks" instead of "build stones", but that's no big deal - it's clear what you mean.

Yes, the protons, neutrons, and electrons are the building blocks of atoms - every atom is built out of some combination of these three particles. However, only the electron is (as far as we know) a fundamental particle that can't be knocked down into smaller parts; protons and neutrons are formed from smaller building blocks called quarks.
Ok thanks =-)

Kind of mad though, I was wrong =-(
I basically thought that these three particles simply existed and made atoms. I didn't know they were actual building blocks... :/

Thanks for the info though. I believe I'll stick to this forum. Physics seems kind of fun and interesting. My future career path stands between either:
  • Theoretical or Experimental physicist (I'm not as smart as they're supposed to be but either like Sheldon or Leonard in the TV-series Big Bang Theory)
  • Software/Game developer
  • Army-man

alex1532489 said:
I basically thought that these three particles simply existed and made atoms. I didn't know they were actual building blocks... :/

What do you mean? They exist and are also building blocks of atoms. Were you thinking that they physically combined and disappeared, and an atom was a singular new particle?

All matter is made up of smaller building blocks (until you get down to the fundamental (as far as we know) level of quarks, leptons and bosons). The elementary particles build into hadrons such as protons and neutrons, which build into atoms, which build into the matter you see around you, which can of course be built up into larger structures.

alex1532489 said:

You'll find lots of information about this if you Google "Standard Model of physics"

1. What are electrons, protons, and neutrons?

Electrons, protons, and neutrons are subatomic particles that make up atoms. Electrons have a negative charge, protons have a positive charge, and neutrons have no charge. They are considered the building blocks of matter.

2. How do electrons, protons, and neutrons differ?

Electrons, protons, and neutrons differ in their mass, charge, and location within the atom. Electrons have the smallest mass and are located in shells outside the nucleus. Protons have a larger mass and are located in the nucleus. Neutrons have a similar mass to protons but have no charge and are also located in the nucleus.

3. How do electrons, protons, and neutrons interact?

Electrons, protons, and neutrons interact through the electromagnetic force. Electrons are attracted to protons due to their opposite charges, while neutrons are attracted to protons and other neutrons through the strong nuclear force. These interactions determine the stability and properties of atoms.

4. Can electrons, protons, and neutrons be broken down into smaller particles?

Electrons, protons, and neutrons are considered fundamental particles, meaning they cannot be broken down into smaller particles. However, they can be transformed into other particles through processes such as radioactive decay or particle collisions.

5. How do electrons, protons, and neutrons contribute to the structure of matter?

Electrons, protons, and neutrons are the building blocks of matter and determine the properties and structure of atoms. The arrangement of these particles within atoms gives rise to different elements, which can combine to form molecules and ultimately, all matter in the universe.