Register to reply

Number of subgroups of a group G

by dumbQuestion
Tags: number, subgroups
Share this thread:
dumbQuestion
Nov5-12, 01:15 PM
P: 126
I was wondering if there are any theorems that specify an exact number of subgroups that a group G has, maybe given certain conditions.

The closest thing I know is a theorem that says if G is finite and cyclic of order n it has exactly one subgroup of order d for each divisor d or n. I am not sure what the formal name of this theorem is.

I also know Lagrange's theorem (if H a subgroup of G, order of H divides order of G), Sylow's theorem (if G a finite group of order n, then if you take the prime factorization of n, n=p1kp2j...pmz then for each pmk in that factorization G has at least one subgroup of order pmi for 0<=i<=k) I also know another theorem which says if G is finite and Abelian, it has at least one subgroup of order d for every divisor d or n.

The thing that gets me is the "at least one subgroup" in these theorems. Are there theorems other than the first one I posted up there which specify exactly how many subgroups of a certain size there are? Like if I have a group of order 500 (or any finite number), say there's no knowledge if it's cyclic or not, is there a way to say exactly how many subgroups it has? What if it's gauranteed to be Abelian? I know if it's Abelian I can say it's isomorphic to direct sums Zm + Zn + ... + Zz for the different combinations of its prime factorization (what I mean by that is say I have an Abelian group of order 24 so its prime factorization is 2*2*2*3, then its isomorphic to Z2 + Z2 + Z2 + Z3, to Z4 + Z2 + Z3, to Z8 + Z3, and to Z24) so do I just then look at the number of subgroups of say Z24? Is there a theorem which would tell me exactly how many subgroups Z24 has?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Vargo
Nov9-12, 02:42 PM
P: 350
A google search yielded this paper.

http://math.ubbcluj.ro/~calu/nrsubgroup.pdf

It doesn't look simple.

Register to reply