Question about a magnet and normal force.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of liquid superconductors and whether the surface of the liquid would remain level or have a dent when a magnet is placed above it. The expert explains that a conventional superconductor would not exist in a fluid state, but there are hypothetical ways around this such as superfluids and supersolids. However, these materials are purely theoretical and their interaction with magnetic fields would be unpredictable. The expert also addresses the question of why gravitational potential energy would increase and explains that it would reduce energy in the magnetic field.
port31
Lets assume that liquid superconductors exist. Now I place a magnet above a pool of the
liquid. Now will the surface of the liquid remain level or will it appear to have dent in it.
I am not sure I kind of back and forth in my head.

Physics news on Phys.org
If there was a fluid that was superconducting and would remain superconducting throughout its volume despite deformations and flows, then yes, there would be a dent, because that would reduce energy in magnetic field, allowing gravitational potential energy to increase.

However, theories of superconductivity I am familiar with require a lattice. Therefore, a conventional superconductor will not be able to exist in a fluid state.

There are some hypothetical ways around that. Option one. We might be dealing with superfluid. An ionic superfluid would also be a superconductor. If like Helium such a superfluid would exist as combination of superfluid and normal phases, the magnetic field would only expel the superfluid phase. So fluid surface would remain level, but properties of the fluid near and away from magnet would be different. I am not aware of any material, even a hypothetical one, that would fit the bill. So this is pure conjecture.

Option two is supersolid. It's effectively a superfluid with a lattice. In principle, it could be a superconductor. The only material to have been theorized to be a supersolid superconductor is metallic hydrogen, and by that point we are in crazy territory. If such a phase of hydrogen exists, its interaction with magnetic field would be absolutely bizarre, and I wouldn't even try to make a prediction.

Its not clear to me why the gravitational potential energy would increase or why
it would reduce energy in the B field.
thanks for your post

1. How does a magnet interact with the normal force?

The normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. When a magnet is placed on a surface, the normal force acts perpendicular to the surface and prevents the magnet from falling through.

2. Can a magnet generate its own normal force?

No, a magnet cannot generate its own normal force. The normal force is a reaction force that is exerted by a surface when an object is placed on it. In the case of a magnet, the normal force is exerted by the surface on which the magnet is placed.

3. Can the strength of a magnet affect the normal force?

Yes, the strength of a magnet can affect the normal force. A stronger magnet will exert a greater magnetic force on a surface, which will in turn increase the normal force exerted by the surface on the magnet.

4. How does the angle of a magnet affect the normal force?

The angle of a magnet can affect the normal force in two ways. Firstly, if a magnet is placed at an angle on a surface, the normal force will act parallel to the surface rather than perpendicular. Secondly, the angle of a magnet can also affect the strength of the magnetic force and therefore the normal force exerted by the surface.

5. Can a magnet experience a normal force in the absence of a magnetic field?

Yes, a magnet can experience a normal force in the absence of a magnetic field. This is because the normal force is a reaction force exerted by a surface, and does not require a magnetic field to be present.