differential operators in arbitrary coordinate systems?

by lordkelvin
Tags: arbitrary, coordinate, differential, operators, systems
lordkelvin
Nov10-12, 06:17 PM
P: 22
Hi, physics undergraduate here. I don't know much about differential geometry yet, but I'm curious about this idea:

Say I encounter a boundary value problem, and I'm not sure what coordinate system would be 'easiest' to solve the problem in. Is there some way to put the differential operator in terms of an unknown metric tensor, then impose some conditions stemming from the boundary values of the problem onto the arbitrary metric tensor in order to select some 'best' coordinate system?

Say I wanted to find the eigenmodes of a parralelogram-shaped drumhead. I'm basically curious if there is some way for me to have mathematics tell me I'd be best off using skew coordinates. Same thing with spherical coordinates on a round drumhead.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
Chestermiller
Nov12-12, 08:22 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 4,444
Often, it is best to choose a coordinate system such that the coordinates on the boundaries are constants. This makes it much easier to apply the boundary conditions.

Register to reply