Proving an inequality for order finding

• Thread starter jamesa917
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the order of x satisfies r <= N and can be proven using Euler's Theorem and Lagrange's Theorem. This can also be seen by showing that there must be at least two numbers in the sequence x^0, x^1, ... , x^N that are equal (mod N), and therefore the prime factors of N are distributed between these two numbers. This proof is fairly brief and can be found through a simple google search.
jamesa917
I'm trying to understand a process called order finding as I need to know it for Shor's algorithm in quantum computing.

The process is like this:

For two positive integers x and N, with no common factors and x < N, the order of x modulo N is defined to be the least positive integer, r, such that [itex]x^r = 1(mod~N)[/itex].

I'm fine with this, but my problem comes in the following, which is left as an exercise in the book I'm using (Nielsen & Chuang):

Show that the order of x satisfies [itex]r \le N[/itex].

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? It's a bit similar to Fermat's Little Theorem but not quite the same. I'm assuming it's a fairly brief proof (as in several lines rather than several pages) based on the difficulty of other questions in the book on that topic.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, jamesa917,
I suppose one quick route is to prove that (a) r divides phi(N), where phi(N) is Euler's totient function, and (b) phi(N) <= N, since phi(N) counts the number of positive integers less than or equal to N and coprime to N.

The (a) part may involve Euler's Theorem (A generalization of Fermat's Little Theorem) and some knowledge of group theory, in particular Lagrange Theorem (see f.i. the wikipedia page, under "Using the theorem"). Alternatively, you can google for a simpler proof (I found this post).

jamesa917 said:
I'm trying to understand a process called order finding as I need to know it for Shor's algorithm in quantum computing.

The process is like this:

For two positive integers x and N, with no common factors and x < N, the order of x modulo N is defined to be the least positive integer, r, such that [itex]x^r = 1(mod~N)[/itex].

I'm fine with this, but my problem comes in the following, which is left as an exercise in the book I'm using (Nielsen & Chuang):

Show that the order of x satisfies [itex]r \le N[/itex].

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? It's a bit similar to Fermat's Little Theorem but not quite the same. I'm assuming it's a fairly brief proof (as in several lines rather than several pages) based on the difficulty of other questions in the book on that topic.

Thanks in advance for any help.
First of all, to every ##n\ge 0##, there exists a ##p##: ##0\le p\le N-1##, such that ##n=p## (mod ##N##).

Therefore, at least two of the ##N+1## numbers ##x^0,\,x^1,\,x^2\,,\dots\,,x^N## are equal (mod ##N##) to the same number ##p##: ##0\le p\le N-1##.

This means that there are ##\,r,s##: ##0\le r < s\le N-1##, and ##k\ge 0## such that ##\,kN=x^s-x^r=x^r(x^{s-r}-1)##.

The prime factors of ##N## are then distributed between ##x^r## and ##x^{s-r}-1##. But ##N## and ##x## have no common factors. Thus, all the prime factors of ##N##, with

appropriate powers, divide ##x^{s-r}-1##, which therefore is divisible ny ##N##. In other words, ##x^{s-r}=1## (mod ##N##), and ##\,0<s-r\le N##. Q.E.D.

1. What is an inequality for order finding?

An inequality for order finding is a mathematical expression that compares two quantities and shows that one is greater than or equal to the other. This is often used in scientific research to prove the order or magnitude of a certain phenomenon.

2. Why is proving an inequality for order finding important?

Proving an inequality for order finding is important because it allows scientists to establish the relationship between different variables and to make predictions about the behavior of a system. It also helps to validate scientific theories and hypotheses.

3. How do scientists prove an inequality for order finding?

The process of proving an inequality for order finding involves using mathematical equations and logic to show that one quantity is greater than or equal to another. This often involves manipulating the variables and using known mathematical principles to reach a conclusion.

4. What types of data are needed to prove an inequality for order finding?

To prove an inequality for order finding, scientists typically need to have numerical data or measurements of the variables involved. This data can then be used to set up the mathematical equations and perform calculations to prove the inequality.

5. Can an inequality for order finding be proven without data?

No, an inequality for order finding cannot be proven without data. Mathematical equations and logic are used to manipulate the data to reach a conclusion, so without data, there is no basis for the proof.