Build Coil-Gun w/ Lithium Car Batteries: Rapid Fire & High Velocity?

• Thread starter supak111
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses building a coil-gun using 3 12v lithium car batteries in series, without capacitors, for rapid firing. The question arises whether it is better to use just the batteries or also include capacitors in each stage of the gun. The legality and safety concerns of coilguns are also mentioned. However, the Physics Forums do not allow discussions of illegal or dangerous activities.
supak111
I'm building a coil-gun. I want to use 3 12v lithium car batteries in series to power the gun. Lithium car batteries have enough energy, are light so gun would be smaller & lighter without capacitors, but most importantly I need the gun to be able to rapid fire so I don't have much time for cap charging.

Lets say that I could build an super long barrel with say a 1000 coils/stages on the gun. And each coil is fired by opti switch at the right time, in this hypothetical gun would it be better to power the gun with just batteries mentioned above or still use caps on each stage of the gun?
(again the gun needs to rapid fire so not much time for charging and don't have much room for huge power supply to do so)

If I just use the batteries to power the coilgun, and I have many stages in the gun can I still theoretically get the projectile to any speed by adding more and more stages?

Thanks everyone

Engineering news on Phys.org
supak111, Welcome to Physics Forums! You have come to the wrong place to get help in building a coilgun. If you click on "rules" at the top of the page, then scroll down that page you will find this:

"PROHIBITED: Illegal & Dangerous Activities: Explicit "how to" discussions of illegal and/or dangerous activities, or posts advocating such activities, are prohibited; such as: how to make explosives, manufacture crack, steal software, hack into the CIA,..."

Sorry, but you cannot expect any member here to help. Now, if you ever have a doubt or question about anything non-lethal/not a weapon, then do post it here. Members here are always ready to assist everyone who wants to learn and shows herself to be a true searcher.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

But coilguns and railguns are 100% LEGAL in all 50 US states. Actually by federal definition of a "firearm" coilguns and railguns are not even considered guns which is what makes them so appealing to build and use.

I'm def not trying to break any forum rules

For coil guns to be able to 'shoot' or 'launch' anything, you need a HIGH HIGH current, and that's dangerous. We don't want anyone to die because someone gave you not safety first advice from this forum.
Car batteries: dangerous

If you don't understand why your project is incredibly impractical and not implementable, then you probably shouldn't be able allowed to operate a toaster oven.

Dangerous discussions are not allowed at the PF. Thread is closed.

1. How does a coil gun work?

A coil gun works by using electromagnetism to accelerate a projectile. The gun consists of a series of coils that are powered by electricity from a battery. When the coils are energized, they create a magnetic field that pulls the projectile through the barrel of the gun at high speeds.

2. Can I use any type of battery for a coil gun?

While it is possible to use various types of batteries for a coil gun, using lithium car batteries is recommended for their high capacity and ability to deliver large amounts of current. This allows for rapid firing and high velocity of the projectile.

3. Are there any safety concerns when building a coil gun with lithium car batteries?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when working with high voltage and high current devices. Make sure to wear protective gear and handle the batteries carefully to avoid electrocution or other accidents.

4. What materials are needed to build a coil gun with lithium car batteries?

The materials needed include a power source (lithium car batteries), a capacitor bank, a series of coils, a trigger switch, and a projectile. You may also need a power supply, charging circuit, and other electronic components depending on the design of your coil gun.

5. Is it legal to own and operate a coil gun with lithium car batteries?

The legality of owning and operating a coil gun varies by location. It is important to research and comply with any laws or regulations in your area before building and using a coil gun. Additionally, always use caution and follow proper safety measures when operating a coil gun.