Furor over Native American Fashion Costume

by Vorde
Tags: american, costume, fashion, furor, native
rootX
Nov13-12, 10:26 PM
P: 1,295
I didn't notice a single mention of the word racism in the whole article.

But, just some people found it offensive which I find reasonable.
"Being a American Indian woman and mother, I am disgusted at the recent picture of your non-Native model dressed inappropriately with a war bonnet on her head, not to mention all the other culturally wrong messages this image sends to the world" wrote Charlene Hunt.
Integral
Nov13-12, 10:45 PM
Mentor
P: 7,291
The super intendent of schools in Oregon has ruled that there can be no Native American references in High School mascots and name. My high school teams the Roseburg Indians, must change its name.
Evo
Nov13-12, 10:50 PM
Mentor
P: 25,926
It would seem that they found the outfit disrespectful. I'd agree with that, that was a pretty tacky bathing suit.
WannabeNewton
Nov13-12, 11:00 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,921
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
It would seem that they found the outfit disrespectful. I'd agree with that, that was a pretty tacky bathing suit.
Still doesn't change that people are way too sensitive. It is just clothing for pete's sake. People need to start getting offended at things that actually matter.
rootX
Nov13-12, 11:04 PM
P: 1,295
Quote Quote by WannabeNewton View Post
Still doesn't change that people are way too sensitive. It is just clothing for pete's sake. People need to start getting offended at things that actually matter.
It's being human to give high respect for few things in your life and get offended when others disrespect those things.
things that actually matter
Different people have different things that actually matter to them.
encorp
Nov13-12, 11:54 PM
P: 27
Native Americans are a people struggling to preserve their culture. Things like this water down their culture, by promoting their cultural clothing as every day use. Kids in schools sometimes wear these pieces since they are sold at popular clothing stores like H&M and other clothing stores aimed at tweens/teens etc.

It's like if these stores sold yamakas for kids to wear. Though I think that it's a little crazy to be too up in arms about it, I think it's important for people to respect cultural artifacts... and since Victorias Secret is lacking in the talent to create a truly artistic shoe piece and march it down the isle, I find it insensitive to usurp something with a lot of meaning to some people and parade it so meaninglessly.

Keep in mind, I know that VS does not sell these.. but if you've got kids right now, you probably are well aware at just how prevalent Native American headdresses are in their fashion world... also, remember.. not a single Native American complained when moccasins were marched down runways.. they are only upset with this because it has a different meaning to them.
WannabeNewton
Nov14-12, 12:37 AM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,921
Quote Quote by rootX View Post
Different people have different things that actually matter to them.
Yes and I'm just saying it is quite pitiful that ethnic clothing is one of those things. This isn't the first time something like this has happened to companies in the US and isn't limited to just Native American clothing. When a company has to issue a public apology because a group of people were offended over the use of clothing then there is a real lack of priority present.
Drakkith
Nov14-12, 01:52 AM
PF Gold
P: 11,013
This is about as racist as a model going down the walkway in cowboy boots, a cowboy hat, and with a bikini made from cowhide to look like a Texan. Well, maybe not racist exactly, but about as stereotypical.
Jobrag
Nov14-12, 07:34 AM
P: 459
I can't remember a similar row about the Native American / Indian in the Village People's video of YMCA, I'm not sure whether it's because we're more sensitive to things like this these days, or whether the internet gives the thin sknined a public place to air their outrage.
russ_watters
Nov14-12, 07:50 AM
Mentor
P: 21,999
Quote Quote by lisab View Post

A Chinese peasant farmer - would you use those fake teeth cartoonists used to portray people of Asian decent in the 1950s?
My understanding is that that was intentionally offensive.
Monique
Nov14-12, 08:19 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,612
What a nonsense. I could understand an uproar if it were a real war bonnet, but it isn't.

During the last Eurovision Song Festival the Dutch singer Joan Franka was threatened by the Real Indian Nation for wearing a Native American-style headdress.

This guy should also leave his headdress home at tonight's Netherlands-Germany soccer match?
russ_watters
Nov14-12, 08:30 AM
Mentor
P: 21,999
Quote Quote by Jobrag View Post
I can't remember a similar row about the Native American / Indian in the Village People's video of YMCA, I'm not sure whether it's because we're more sensitive to things like this these days, or whether the internet gives the thin sknined a public place to air their outrage.
It appears to me to be a recent phenomena and it includes college mascots as well.
Andre
Nov14-12, 08:32 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,450
Oh and, Niqqie, don't forget Zwarte Piet and the debates about it.
Greg Bernhardt
Nov14-12, 08:33 AM
Admin
P: 8,534
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
What a nonsense. I could understand an uproar if it were a real war bonnet, but it isn't.
Apparently the war bonnet is of spiritual importance. Would it be accepted if a singer wore a pope mitre on TV as fashion style?
BobG
Nov14-12, 08:44 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,275
Quote Quote by Integral View Post
The super intendent of schools in Oregon has ruled that there can be no Native American references in High School mascots and name. My high school teams the Roseburg Indians, must change its name.
Now this is an overreaction. Using Native American references, especially in an area where Native Americans played a significant part of the area's history, is not offensive.

However, some team nicknames are pretty offensive. The Washington Redskins would be the obvious example.
Monique
Nov14-12, 08:55 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,612
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
Would it be accepted if a singer wore a pope mitre on TV as fashion style?
Yeah, why not? Coincidentally coming Sunday many children and adults in the Netherlands will dress up with a mitre on their head. Should bishops protest?

"Saint Nicholas wears a long red cape or chasuble over a traditional white bishop's alb and sometimes red stola, dons a red mitre, and holds a gold-coloured crosier, a long ceremonial shepherd's staff with a fancy curled top."

leroyjenkens
Nov14-12, 09:23 AM
P: 526
Funny how noone seems to take offence that they're *still* referred to (and often referring to themselves) as "Indians".
I call them American Indians because the name "native American" is inaccurate. I'll gladly call them whatever name they referred to themselves as, but I haven't heard one yet.

I have an American Indian friend who calls himself Indian.
Ivan Seeking
Nov14-12, 09:24 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
People have way too much time to sit around and be offended. To me it seems more a form of flattery than disrespect. But then about the only thing that really offends me anymore is the thought of Jimmy buying his underwear at VS.

Register to reply