Register to reply

Urgent! Real quick question! Can we make a conclusion/inference from this graph?

by riseofphoenix
Tags: graph, real, urgent
Share this thread:
riseofphoenix
Nov14-12, 06:12 PM
P: 298

This is what I did on StatsCrunch using the data they gave me:

Would the answer be B and C?
Because A can't be right...our data goes up to 2000. And while there still is a trend going on (newer homes --> more square ft), we can't really give a "predicted value of 1964 and 2250". So that would eliminate D and E (the fourth option and the sixth option).
Am I right? I only get one submission and I have to choose AT LEAST ONE of these.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
Number Nine
Nov14-12, 07:11 PM
P: 772
Explain clearly why you rejected the options that you did. I can see an obvious problem with the dataset that you're ignoring.
riseofphoenix
Nov14-12, 07:39 PM
Quote Quote by Number Nine View Post
Explain clearly why you rejected the options that you did. I can see an obvious problem with the dataset that you're ignoring.
Option 1 is false because the the scatter plot isn't necessarily linear - it's pretty randomized
Option 2 could be true because our parameter is 1920-2000
Option 3 is true.
Options 4, 5, and 6 are false.

Number Nine
Nov14-12, 07:43 PM
Urgent! Real quick question! Can we make a conclusion/inference from this graph?

Options 4, 5, and 6 are false.
Explain why.
riseofphoenix
Nov14-12, 08:00 PM
Explain why.
Well you can't predict exactly how many square ft. a home built 15 years from the year 2000 will have. Especially considering the limited data that was given.
Option 5 just doesn't make sense to me. So it has to be Options 2 and 3.
Number Nine
Nov14-12, 08:03 PM
Quote Quote by riseofphoenix View Post
Well you can't predict exactly how many square ft. a home built 15 years from the year 2000 will have. Especially considering the limited data that was given.
Option 5 just doesn't make sense to me. So it has to be Options 2 and 3.
It "doesn't make sense"? Do you understand the assumptions involved in least squares regression? Does the dataset look like it has equal variance across observations?
riseofphoenix
Nov14-12, 08:05 PM
It "doesn't make sense"? Do you understand the assumptions involved in least squares regression? Does the dataset look like it has equal variance across observations?
Oh well not /completely. But to answer your second question, no it doesn't.

So Option 5 would also be the correct answer (along with Options 2 and 3)?
haruspex
Nov15-12, 09:52 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,808
That's a fair point, but the question does not specify the kind of analysis to be used. Is it not possible to make allowance for variable variance (heteroscedasticity)?
chiro
Nov15-12, 10:01 PM
P: 4,573
I'd really want to see an R^2 value for this data because it looks absolutely unusable to say the least given the scatterplot.

If the variables are high un-correlated, then any attempt to create dependencies between the variables is going to be useless.

Register to reply