Goodbye to Twinkies?

by jtbell
Tags: twinkies
Share this thread:
jtbell
Jan12-12, 02:07 AM
Mentor
P: 11,614
Fortunately, no. Twinkies junkies will still get their fix, at least for now, even though Hostess has filed for bankruptcy:

Twinkies will keep coming despite bankruptcy

I was actually more of a fan of Hostess Cupcakes than Twinkies, but I haven't eaten either in a long time. My current junk-food addiction is Cheetos.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
Giant crater in Russia's far north sparks mystery
NASA Mars spacecraft prepare for close comet flyby
wuliheron
Jan12-12, 04:52 AM
P: 1,967
Even if they went bankrupt people would save them just to see how long they last. Someone should try irradiating one and putting it in air-tight container to get into the Guinness Book of Records for the oldest surviving Twinkie. Who knows, some Twinkies could outlast humanity.
Ivan Seeking
Jan12-12, 09:20 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
I never knew that Hostess cupcakes have been around so long.

[introduced in] 1919
Hostess CupCakes® are the best selling snack cakes in history. It wasn’t until over 30 years later that baker Doc Rice added the signature 7 squiggles and vanilla-crème filling. Varieties now include Golden, Orange and Strawberry.Throughout the '60s and '70s Captain Cupcake was the mascot shown on the Hostess CupCake packaging, but today Hostess uses a character named 'Curly.
http://www.hostessbrands.com/Brands/Hostess.aspx

Moonbear
Jan12-12, 06:22 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Goodbye to Twinkies?

I haven't had a Twinkie or anything else Hostess in a long time. I was mostly a HoHo fan...and Devil Dogs, but I can't remember if they were made by Hostess or not.
rhody
Jan12-12, 06:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
I knew it was a matter of time before someone posted this, thanks JT, my only thoughts about Hostess is they made treats that brings back good childhood memories, sad to see them disappear into oblivion. I still have my memories though.

Rhody...
Evo
Jan12-12, 06:58 PM
Mentor
P: 26,444
The only thing made by hostess that I eat is their orange cupcakes, which are almost impossible to find. Whenever I find them, I buy the entire stock, which is usually only 2 packs. I even have a certain way they must be eaten. These are not to be taken lightly.
ThomasT
Jan13-12, 10:11 AM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
... Hostess has filed for bankruptcy ...
I'm shocked! What has the world come to that an American manufacturer of sugary treats might go out of business? Is nothing sacred?

Not long ago, the production of the vaunted (but, apparently not that much) Brach's A&W root beer barrel was stopped. Being somewhat addicted to said treats, I was most distressed by their discontinuance.

And now the possibility that the cream-filled (chocolate) Hostess cupcake might become an extinct species. (I prefer them to Twinkies -- apparently having been persuaded by the advertising spiel of Buffalo Bob and Howdy Doody.) This is a bad thing.
ThomasT
Jan13-12, 10:28 AM
P: 1,414
I forgot the Hostess Suzy Q (chocolate version). Perhaps the greatest sugary snack ever invented, and my current favorite inducer of adult onset diabetes. I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it.
Char. Limit
Jan13-12, 11:49 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,941
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
I never knew that Hostess cupcakes have been around so long.

http://www.hostessbrands.com/Brands/Hostess.aspx
I'm sure the original Hostess cupcakes have also been around for that long. Those things never get stale. :D
Vanadium 50
Jan13-12, 12:32 PM
Mentor
P: 16,162
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
I haven't had a Twinkie or anything else Hostess in a long time. I was mostly a HoHo fan...and Devil Dogs, but I can't remember if they were made by Hostess or not.
Devil Dogs are made by Drake, which is owned by Hostess now.

I never understood why some people favored Ho-Hos over Ding-Dongs and vice versa.
Ivan Seeking
Jan13-12, 02:02 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Defense lawyers would never let Twinkies disappear.
KingNothing
Jan13-12, 10:41 PM
P: 949
Twinkies have a shelf life of about 30 days, but are typically sold in under 7 days.
Evo
Jan13-12, 10:56 PM
Mentor
There is a myth that only one batch of twinkies was ever made years ago and they just dole them out. "they have a shelf life of 150 years".

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/twinkies.asp
jtbell
Nov15-12, 12:06 AM
Mentor
P: 11,614
The end may come today.

Hostess to liquidate if bakers' strike continues through Thursday (cnn.com)

Maybe at lunch I'll check out a couple of the convenience stores near campus and see if I can find some Cupcakes or Twinkies.
Evo
Nov15-12, 12:31 AM
Mentor
NOOOOOO, once a year I hunt for their orange cupcakes. Life will end if those go off the market.
FreeMitya
Nov15-12, 01:33 AM
P: 31
Their Cupcakes were delicious, but about five to ten minutes after consuming them I always started hating myself.
Greg Bernhardt
Nov15-12, 01:35 AM
Admin
P: 9,293
Buy a bag of twinkies and save them for 50 years. Could be worth something.
Drakkith
Nov15-12, 05:10 AM
Mentor
P: 11,522
Quote Quote by FreeMitya View Post
Their Cupcakes were delicious, but about five to ten minutes after consuming them I always started hating myself.
Yep. They are good, but make me feel...bleh...

Register to reply