How can I solve this without using integrating factor?

by ktklam9
Tags: factor, integrating, solve
ktklam9
Nov15-12, 01:17 AM
P: 3
Let the Wronskian between the functions f and g to be 3e[itex]^{4t}[/itex], if f(t) = e[itex]^{2t}[/itex], then what is g(t)?

So the Wronskian setup is pretty easy

W(t) = fg' - f'g = 3e[itex]^{4t}[/itex]

f = e[itex]^{2t}[/itex]
f' = 2e[itex]^{2t}[/itex]

So plugging it in I would get:

e[itex]^{2t}[/itex]g' - 2e[itex]^{2t}[/itex]g = 3e[itex]^{4t}[/itex]

Which results in

g' - 2g = 3e[itex]^{2t}[/itex]

How can I solve for g without using integrating factor? Is it even possible? Thanks :)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
HallsofIvy
Nov15-12, 07:45 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,894
It's always possible to solve "some other way" but often much more difficult.

This particular example, however, is a "linear equation with constant coefficients" which has a fairly simple solution method. Because it is linear, we can add two solutions to get a third so start by looking at g'- 2g= 0.

g'= 2g give dg/g= 2dt and, integrating ln(g)= 2t+ c. Taking the exponential of both sides, [itex]g(t)= e^{2t+ c}= e^{2t}e^c= Ce^{2t}[/itex] where C is defined as ec.

Now, we can use a method called "variation of parameters" because we allow that "C" in the previous solution to be a variable: let [itex]g= v(t)e^{2t}[/itex]. Then [itex]g'= v'(t)e^{2t}+ 2v(t)e^{2t}[/itex] so the equation becomes [itex]g'- 2g= v'(t)e^{2t}+ 2v(t)e^{2t}- 2v(t)e^{2t}= v'(t)e^{2t}= 3e^{2t}[/itex]. We can cancel the "[itex]e^{2t}[/itex]" terms to get [itex]v'(t)= 3[/itex] and, integrating, v(t)= 3t+ C. That gives the solution [itex]g(t)= v(t)e^{2t}= 3te^{2t}+ Ce^{2t}[/itex] where "C" can be any number.

Register to reply