Register to reply

Integration by partial fractions?

Share this thread:
James2
Nov14-12, 09:03 PM
P: 35
Whoa, this here is kicking me hard! Okay, so I've got everything pretty well down until... stuff like... [tex]\int \frac{3x + 32}{x^{2}-16x + 64}dx[/tex]

So, I get how to factor the denominator, but then what? The above won't factor... Also, I read that if the degree of the numerator is higher than the denominator I gotta do polynomial long division... I need a review of polynomial long division; Lol.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Simon Bridge
Nov15-12, 02:22 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,974
Quote Quote by James2 View Post
Whoa, this here is kicking me hard! Okay, so I've got everything pretty well down until... stuff like... [tex]\int \frac{3x + 32}{x^{2}-16x + 64}dx[/tex]

So, I get how to factor the denominator, but then what? The above won't factor... Also, I read that if the degree of the numerator is higher than the denominator I gotta do polynomial long division... I need a review of polynomial long division; Lol.
But the numerator is not higher order than the denominator and:$$\frac{3x + 32}{x^{2}-16x + 64}=\frac{3x+32}{(x-8)^2}$$See also:
http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~kouba/C...rtialFrac.html
lurflurf
Nov15-12, 05:26 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,264
x^2-16x+64=(x-8)^2
3x+32=3(x-8)+56

Simon Bridge
Nov15-12, 05:31 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,974
Integration by partial fractions?

... oh yes, and complete the square in the numerator.
Thanks lurflurf. The example does not seem to illustrate the following comments does it?

Register to reply