Register to reply

Probability of Time-Overlap between two Transceivers

Share this thread:
Meshy
Nov15-12, 07:23 PM
P: 5
Ok, so I had this thought for low power transistors to only broadcast certain data at specific time increments. I cannot figure out how to answer this for the heck of me.

Two transceivers, and they only broadcast SEND requests when they have data to send.

Transceiver A) Broadcasts every 8 seconds for 2 seconds. If it doesn't get a SEND request from another transceiver in those 2 seconds it goes back to sleep.

Transceiver B) Broadcasts every 8 seconds for 2 seconds. If it doesn't get a SEND request from another transceiver in those 2 seconds it goes back to sleep.

Transceiver X) Broadcasts every X seconds for Y seconds. If it doesn't get a SEND request from another transceiver in those Y seconds it goes back to sleep. ::

If they were started a random times, lets say 6 second differential or w/e, just as long as they weren't started at the same time, how long till I', guaranteed one finds the other? Is there a mathematical model to calculate this?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math journal puts Rauzy fractcal image on the cover
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
haruspex
Nov15-12, 07:51 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,927
Clearly A and B are not guaranteed ever to get in touch.
For simplicity, to start with, I would assume each broadcasts/listens for a time period of 1, and take the cycle lengths to be whole multiples of that. What then would be the relationship between two cycle lengths to ensure they coincide sometime?
Meshy
Nov15-12, 09:18 PM
Now that I think of it, if they were both 8 seconds they aren't guaranteed to ever communicate. But at 6 seconds, they should. Lemme give it another shot:

-, * = 2 sec increments

----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*
---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*

Meshy
Nov15-12, 09:22 PM
Probability of Time-Overlap between two Transceivers

Looks like every 40 secs in that specific scenario.
Meshy
Nov15-12, 09:30 PM
Set - or * to t. x1 = 5, x2 = 4.

f(x,y,t)=>

f(5,4,2)=40;
f(5,4,1)=20;

f(x,y,t)=x*y*t

So X*Y*T it is I guess.

Lemme try, (2,3,1):

2X3X1 = 6

Yup that's six increments. Wow. Figured it out myself :)
Meshy
Nov15-12, 09:36 PM
So I just realized it's just the multiplication of the 2 time increments. Obviously had too much on my mind today. lol. SOLVED.
haruspex
Nov16-12, 02:55 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,927
I'm glad you're happy, but if that's the answer then I clearly did not understand the question in the first place.
If A sends for 2 seconds starting at time 6t, and B does 2 seconds starting at time 6t+3, t=0, 1, ..., they will never be awake together. Likewise with 1 second at 10t, 15t+2. What have I misunderstood?

Register to reply