Must choose between these two classes for NEng

by Hercuflea
Tags: choose, classes, neng
Hercuflea
Nov16-12, 09:48 AM
P: 320
Hey,

I am a math major looking to get my Ph.D. in Nuclear Engineering. Next semester I have to choose between two classes because of scheduling conflict (each class only offers one section; they are 30 minutes apart, but one is at another university which is 30min-1hr drive depending on traffic). I have to choose between:

Numerical Analysis 2
Topics included will be numerical methods for systems of equations, differentiation and integration, approximation theory, initial and boundary value problems and problems for ordinary differential equations. Extensive use of computing will be incorporated.

vs.

Radiation Physics
Characteristics of atomic and nuclear radiations, transition probabilities, radioactivity, classical and quantum-mechanical derivations of cross sections, interactions of photon, neutron, and charged particles with matter.

Which do I choose?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
daveb
Nov16-12, 12:02 PM
P: 927
I would say it would depend upon what you plan to focus upon for your PhD. Numerical analysis is good for developing and refining codes for numerous applications such as reactor simulation, neutron transport, etc., assuming you then go on to numerical methods for PDEs.

Radiation physics looks good for looking at radiation effects upon reactor materials.
Hercuflea
Nov16-12, 12:52 PM
I have pretty much decided on taking the Radiation physics class because it is a prerequisite for higher level nuclear engineering classes. I am very interested in numerical analysis and simulation but I should be able to pick it up next year. Also, my physics professor told me that my transcript is too purely-math oriented and I need to take some engineering and physics classes to be competitive for graduate applications.

Thank you for the advice.

Thermalne
Nov16-12, 04:43 PM
P: 263

Must choose between these two classes for NEng

Have you taken all the prereqs for the radiation physics class?
Hercuflea
Nov17-12, 12:24 AM
Yes the prerequisites are only Calculus 2 and Calc-based Physics 1.

Register to reply