Register to reply

Please Help me Translate French Math Terms

by Bacle2
Tags: french, math, terms, translate
Share this thread:
Nov13-12, 08:26 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,172
Hi, All:

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I did not know where else to ask. These are geometric/topological

terms, so I thought it'd make sense to ask here:

I am reading a math paper in French, and I'm having trouble :

1)Cellulation de Contact . Cellules. I suspect this has to see with cellular homology , and decomposition into cells

(as in CW-complexes )

2) Decoupage, as in:

...S est une surface e-convexe, dont le decoupage est fourni par K.

Thanks. If necessary, I'll delete and post somewhere else.

EDIT/P.S: For the sake of context, the paper is on Contact Structures and Open Book Decompositions. Sorry, I cannot

find a link for it online.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Nov14-12, 07:21 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
quasar987's Avatar
P: 4,771
'Cellule' means cell.

'Cellulation' refers to the process of dividing into cells.

'Cellulation de Contact' would therefor means 'The dividing into cells coming from "contact"' This is obscure and should have been defined elsewhere I guess.

'...S est une surface e-convexe, dont le decoupage est fourni par K.' means '...S is an e-convex surface whose cutting is provided by K."

'Decoupage' means 'cutting'.

If you have nay more questions, don't hesitate :)
Nov15-12, 07:11 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,172
Merci, ami Quasar987 !

Nov15-12, 08:53 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,172
Please Help me Translate French Math Terms

Hi again, Quasar987, two more, please:

How about : l'ame de l'anneau , where the 'a' in ame has a circumflex accent?

I know ame is sould, and anneau is an annulus, but 'the soul of the annulus' sounds

just like a cheesy sci-fi movie :).

How about 'vrillees' (accent on first e ), in reference to a contact structure? I

imagine it means 'overtwisted' , since I'm pretty sure 'tendue' means tight in this

context, right?

P.S: I'll owe you a few beers if you come to NYC--or maybe pastis?
Nov15-12, 10:06 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
quasar987's Avatar
P: 4,771
Haha.. well you're right that 'âme' means 'soul', but 'anneau' can also refer to a 'ring' (the algebraic structure). In any case, I have no idea what 'l'âme de l'anneau' could mean !!

I do not know how to translate 'vrillé'. It it is an adjectification of the (feminine) noun 'vrille'. When I hear it, I see an helicoid as the best example of something that is vrillé.

So surely that means 'overtwisted' if it's used next to 'tendu', which clearly means 'tight'.
Nov16-12, 07:25 AM
P: 345
Have you tried Google translate?

It might not work for all mathematical or other technical terms, but it might give hints to guessing the meaning.
jim mcnamara
Nov16-12, 09:51 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,384
'l'âme de l'anneau' == kernel of a ring (I believe. )

Unless there is a mathematician around here who was educated in France ( I do not know )--
You best bet is Denis Serre and several other French mathematicians frequent the site.
Dec23-12, 02:18 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,172
Thanks all:

My best understanding so far, after asking a French math prof. is that ame,
actually translates to "soul of a manifold" ; weird, but there is actually such thing.

Jim: I did not give enough context, but anneau here refers to annulus, and
there is no algebraic structure, so I think "soul of a manifold":

Register to reply

Related Discussions
Best way to learn French and speak it like a French person? History & Humanities 10
How would you rank these math courses in terms of difficulty? Academic Guidance 14
Math terms and how important are they in college? General Math 7
Pure Math Vs. Physics(not in terms of majors) Academic Guidance 2