Register to reply

Likelihood functions

by Cinitiator
Tags: functions, likelihood
Share this thread:
Cinitiator
Nov16-12, 01:49 PM
P: 118
As far as I know, the definition of likelihood functions is the probability of a given random variable result given some parameter (please correct me if I'm wrong). What kind of parameters are usually handled by likelihood functions? Population parameters? Statistical model parameters? Both?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Stephen Tashi
Nov16-12, 04:25 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,300
Quote Quote by Cinitiator View Post
As far as I know, the definition of likelihood functions is the probability of a given random variable result given some parameter (please correct me if I'm wrong).
For a continuous random variable x with probability density f(x), a number such as f(a) isn't "the probability that x = a". ( For example the desnity of a random variable x uniformly distributed on the interval [0, 1/2] is f(x) = 2 and 2 isn't a possible value for the probability of an event.) The density can be used to approximate the probability that x is in a small interval around a particular value and in many situations, you can think of the density at f(a) as "the probability that x = a" in order to remember the correct formulas. But f(a) isn't actually "the probability that x = a".

The fact that a value of the denstiy function isn't an actual probability explains why the phrase "maximum liklihood" is used instead of the simpler phrase "maximum probability".

Register to reply