Register to reply

Is unloading shock possible?

by snorkack
Tags: shock, unloading
Share this thread:
snorkack
Nov19-12, 07:28 AM
P: 384
In low pressure gases, speed of sound is independent on pressure and depends only on temperature.

Therefore increase of pressure will propagate as shockwave - front of the wave compresses and heats the gas, allowing the rear of the wave to travel faster and pile up into a shock.

By the same cause, a decrease of pressure CANNOT propagate as shockwave in ideal gas - initial expansion cools the gas and slows down the rear of the wave, spreading out the unloading.

How about fluids?

The isothermal compressibility diverges to infinity at and below critical point. It does not and cannot get negative.

Adiabatic compressibility therefore stays finite everywhere.

How does the speed of sound around critical poind depend on pressure along adiabats?

Is there any region where speed of sound increases on expansion, enabling decrease of pressure to propagate as shockwave?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Vibrational motion of a single molecule measured in real time
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Bubbling down: Discovery suggests surprising uses for common bubbles
cjl
Nov19-12, 03:59 PM
P: 1,016
It looks like there are circumstances under which it is possible to get a rarefaction shock, though the example I found involves dense gas dynamics rather than liquids (which is what I'm assuming you mean when you say "fluids"). Here's a paper on the topic:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...B65_aw&cad=rja
snorkack
Nov20-12, 11:48 AM
P: 384
Quote Quote by cjl View Post
It looks like there are circumstances under which it is possible to get a rarefaction shock, though the example I found involves dense gas dynamics rather than liquids (which is what I'm assuming you mean when you say "fluids").
Since liquid and gas can continuously transform passing around critical point, "fluid" is a term which covers both.

cjl
Nov20-12, 01:27 PM
P: 1,016
Is unloading shock possible?

Quote Quote by snorkack View Post
Since liquid and gas can continuously transform passing around critical point, "fluid" is a term which covers both.
I'm fully aware of that. The reason I made the distinction is because it sounded like you were using "fluid" as something which was distinct from "gas" in the OP, when in fact there is substantial overlap. Reading the OP again, it appears that I may have simply misunderstood what you were trying to say. Regardless, the paper linked in my previous post should give an example.

Register to reply