Register to reply

As someone who hasn't gone to college yet,

by Eagle-
Tags: college
Share this thread:
Eagle-
Nov19-12, 08:11 AM
P: 1
What is the best way for me to get a hands-on lab experience in the area? I'm a junior in high school, and I'm not sure how I could get some personal experience in lab (for any field of science.) I was considering email nearby colleges or laboratories, but I don't know if they'll allow a high schooler to work or shadow anyone at that level. Is there any kind of system for this, or a way for me to get a headstart in the lab world before I head to college? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
WannabeNewton
Nov19-12, 11:50 AM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 5,624
Does your school partake in the Intel science and mathematics competition program? I don't know if it will be too late for you to join as a junior but in my high school kids join the program as a beginning sophomore in fields ranging from biology to physics and mathematics. You find a mentor and start working in his\her research lab until midway through senior year when you turn in your final research paper and it is entered into the competition. I worked with a professor from cornell university in the field of physics. It was a great experience to say the least (although quite taxing).
Vanadium 50
Nov19-12, 06:31 PM
Mentor
P: 16,356
As a minor, there will be very few people - quite possibly none - who will let you inside a laboratory. You may well have to be patient and wait.

Register to reply