Register to reply

Halo as a realistic game?

by dbmorpher
Tags: game, halo, realistic
Share this thread:
dbmorpher
Nov15-12, 08:54 PM
P: 52
I was recently browsing the halo wiki, looking at the technological advancements man had achieved in the 26th century. As I was clicking along the technologies seemed very real and lifelike, from the way ONI creates it's AIs or the Shaw-Fujikawa Translight Engine Halo looks very well thought out scientifically.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Law changed to allow 'unlocking' cellphones
Microsoft sues Samsung alleging contract breach
Best evidence yet for coronal heating theory detected by NASA sounding rocket
Ryan_m_b
Nov21-12, 02:16 AM
Mentor
P: 5,407
I don't see how Halo could ever be described as realistic. It's classic soft science fiction with force fields, plasma guns, artificial gravity, inertial suppression, cyborg supersoldiers, faster-than-light travel and a weapon that can kill all life in the galaxy with a flick of a switch.

Stick to hard sci-fi literature if you want something moderately close to reality.
EBENEZR
Nov21-12, 05:02 AM
P: 31
Worth noting, Asimov would probably say it was true sci-fi, ie "trashy", but not SF or Science Fiction. I don't think the tech is believable as much as commonplace in future-based games. Personally, the biggest bone I have to pick with most sci-fi is artificial gravity. There is no way that the majority of its occurrences in games would be possible, only ever in stationary objects.

Khantazm
Nov21-12, 12:53 PM
P: 27
Halo as a realistic game?

And then (10 years after the original game and a couple years after I got introduced to the franchise) I discovered (as my English improved, too), that it was all a reference to the Biblical story of the Flood, possibly intended as a historical explanation for it (although this notion is never brought up in the games, admittedly). Talk about realism.

Speaking of bones, my personal biggest bone with Halo was that it took me so many tries to get through some sections, that Master Chief's eventual success seemed based entirely on luck (if you think of tries as universes in the multiverse explanation of quantum physics... and I did then).
andrien
Nov22-12, 05:05 AM
P: 1,020
I still like my counter strike.

Register to reply