Register to reply

Miller indices of Ni based alloys

by nukapprentice
Tags: alloys, based, indices, miller
Share this thread:
nukapprentice
Nov20-12, 11:23 PM
P: 66
I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on what the miller indices of Inconel 600 and 690 alloys are. I know they are FCC structure, but does that automatically give them the conventional numbers, or is it something else since it is a complex alloy?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Amazon worker piloted drone around Space Needle
Five next-generation technologies for positioning, navigation and timing
Astronuc
Nov21-12, 07:29 AM
Admin
P: 21,827
Quote Quote by nukapprentice View Post
I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on what the miller indices of Inconel 600 and 690 alloys are. I know they are FCC structure, but does that automatically give them the conventional numbers, or is it something else since it is a complex alloy?
The Miller indices would apply to each phase in a rather complex system, but in these austenitic solid-solution alloys, it would be dominated by Ni. Cr generally forms Cr carbides.

http://www.specialmetals.com/product...elalloy600.php
http://www.specialmetals.com/product...elalloy690.php

Inconel 600 is nominally 70% Ni (with 14.0-17.0% Cr and 6.0-10.0% Fe), while Inconel 690 is nominally 58% Ni (with 27.0-31.0% Cr and 7.0-11.0% Fe). There are small amounts of C, Si and traces of Mn and Cu. They do not have Mo, Nb, Al or Ti, which are found in other Inconels.
nukapprentice
Nov21-12, 02:00 PM
P: 66
Thanks Astronuc! That's really great stuff. I guess the reason why I'm asking is because my friend is conducting x-ray diffraction studies on IN 600/690 for samples before and after being exposed to a supercritical water environment. I was hoping to get the miller indices in order to solve for the lattice parameter a.

Register to reply