Tags: function, simpler
Share this thread:
SeventhSigma
Nov18-12, 12:36 PM
P: 250
let P(n) = n^4 + an^3 + bn^2 + cn

M(a,b,c) returns largest m that divides P(n) for all n

then let function S(N) return the sum of all M(a,b,c) for 1 <= a,b,c <= N

I am trying to understand a simpler way to calculate S(N) so I don't have to actually process every single combination of a,b, and c but I am having trouble finding patterns to take advantage of on a broad scale.

So far I know from trying all sorts of values that M(a,b,c) tends to return values of form 2^i * 3^j where i,j>=0.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
mfb
Nov18-12, 02:01 PM
Mentor
P: 11,631
If m divides P(n) for all n, it also divides all differences: m divides P(2)-P(1) = 15+7a+3b, for example.
Using more values for n, you can eliminate more variables. This could help to reduce testing.
coolul007
Nov21-12, 07:32 AM
P: 234
P(n) can be looked at as a base 'n' number. This would make a,b,c digits and a max value for that part.

Register to reply