Conceptual Second order differential eqn question

by CAF123
Tags: conceptual, differential, order
Share this thread:
CAF123
Nov22-12, 09:49 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,314
I know that if ##Y_1## and ##Y_2## are two solutions of a nonhomogeneous second order differential eqn, then ##Y_1 - Y_2## is also a solution. So this motivates the following: if we set ##Y_1 = y(x)##, where ##y(x) ## is an arbritary soln of the nonhomogeneous ODE and ##Y_2 = y_p(x)##, some particular soln, we get that ##Y_1 - Y_2## is a solution to the corresponding complementary equation, $$ a(Y_1 - Y_2)'' + b(Y_1 - Y_2)' + c(Y_1 - Y_2) = 0,$$ ie ##y_c(x) = Y_1 - Y_2 = y(x) - y_p(x)##.
I have two questions:
1)Why set ##Y_1 = y(x)## and ##Y_2 = y_p(x)##? Could we have set ##Y_1 = y_p(x) ##and ##Y_2 = y(x)## so that in the end we get ##y(x) = y_p(x) - y_c(x),## where to recover the usual ##y(x)= y_p(x) +y_c(x),## we introduce an arbritary negative for the constants in the ##y_c(x)## term?

2) I often read questions: Find the general soln of ... and given the initial conditions...find the particular soln. I can do these questions fine. Conceptually though and understanding what is going on, I get a little confused here because we have already defined the term 'particular soln' (as above ##y_p(x)##) in order to find the general soln. So is this two different things with the same term attached to them? I recall that ##y_p(x)## is sometimes called the particular integral?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
HallsofIvy
Nov22-12, 11:27 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
Quote Quote by CAF123 View Post
I know that if ##Y_1## and ##Y_2## are two solutions of a nonhomogeneous second order differential eqn, then ##Y_1 - Y_2## is also a solution.
NO! You don't know that- it is not true. If [itex]Y_1[/itex] and [itex]Y_2[/itex] are two solutions of the same nonhomogeneous differential equation, then [itex]Y_1- Y_2[/itex] is a solution to the associated non-homogeneous equation.

So this motivates the following: if we set ##Y_1 = y(x)##, where ##y(x) ## is an arbritary soln of the nonhomogeneous ODE and ##Y_2 = y_p(x)##, some particular soln, we get that ##Y_1 - Y_2## is a solution to the corresponding complementary equation, $$ a(Y_1 - Y_2)'' + b(Y_1 - Y_2)' + c(Y_1 - Y_2) = 0,$$ ie ##y_c(x) = Y_1 - Y_2 = y(x) - y_p(x)##.
Okay, now that is true- and is not what you said above.

I have two questions:
1)Why set ##Y_1 = y(x)## and ##Y_2 = y_p(x)##? Could we have set ##Y_1 = y_p(x) ##and ##Y_2 = y(x)## so that in the end we get ##y(x) = y_p(x) - y_c(x),## where to recover the usual ##y(x)= y_p(x) +y_c(x),## we introduce an arbritary negative for the constants in the ##y_c(x)## term?
I don't see any difference. You are just changing which function you call [itex]Y_1[/itex] and which you call [itex]Y_2[/itex].

2) I often read questions: Find the general soln of ... and given the initial conditions...find the particular soln. I can do these questions fine. Conceptually though and understanding what is going on, I get a little confused here because we have already defined the term 'particular soln' (as above ##y_p(x)##) in order to find the general soln. So is this two different things with the same term attached to them? I recall that ##y_p(x)## is sometimes called the particular integral?
Yes, "particular integral" is a better term than "particular solution".
CAF123
Nov22-12, 12:09 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
NO! You don't know that- it is not true. If [itex]Y_1[/itex] and [itex]Y_2[/itex] are two solutions of the same nonhomogeneous differential equation, then [itex]Y_1- Y_2[/itex] is a solution to the associated non-homogeneous equation.
Should that be the 'associated homogeneous' eqn?

I don't see any difference. You are just changing which function you call [itex]Y_1[/itex] and which you call [itex]Y_2[/itex].
Changing the order will mean that the general solution is the complementary function - the particular integral rather than the complementary function + the particular integral, no?(since it is strictly ##Y_1 - Y_2##)

Yes, "particular integral" is a better term than "particular solution".
Ok, thanks. So ##y_p(x)## should really be called particular integral so as to avoid confusion. Where did the 'integral' come from in its name?

CAF123
Nov24-12, 11:55 AM
PF Gold
Conceptual Second order differential eqn question

Can you help?

Register to reply