Thermal Physics: Ice skating temperatures

by H.fulls
Tags: physics, skating, temperatures, thermal
Share this thread:
H.fulls
Nov23-12, 03:54 AM
P: 18
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
It is said that good ice skating only occurs when the ice below the skates melts. Using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, estimate the coldest temperature at which good ice skating can occur. (Water expands 9% on freezing, Latent heat of ice melting is 334 kJ/Kg, the contact area is 1mm by 5cm and the skater weighs 70kg, water has a molar mass of 18g)

2. Relevant equations
[itex]\frac{dp}{dT}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{L}{T(V_{2}-V_{1})}[/itex]

or I think rearranged like this

[itex]p_{0}[/itex]-p = [itex]\frac{L}{\DeltaV}[/itex] ln[itex]\frac{T_{0}}{T}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
I have found the pressure exerted as 1.372 x [itex]10^{7}[/itex] kg/[itex]m^{2}[/itex]
I realise that we want the ice to be melting.. so 273k at this pressure, so I need to find the temperature at normal room pressure of 101 KPa.
However I dont know what to use for the volume?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
TSny
Nov23-12, 10:11 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 4,761
Quote Quote by H.fulls View Post
[itex]\frac{dp}{dT}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{L}{T(V_{2}-V_{1})}[/itex]

or I think rearranged like this

[itex]p_{0}[/itex]-p = [itex]\frac{L}{\Delta V}[/itex] ln[itex]\frac{T_{0}}{T}[/itex]
Often, you can get an accurate enough answer without integrating by treating the right hand side of the Claussius-Clapeyron equation as constant over the temperature changes involved. Then you can just write it as

[itex]\frac{\Delta p}{\Delta T}[/itex] ≈ [itex]\frac{L}{T(V_{2}-V_{1})}[/itex]
I have found the pressure exerted as 1.372 x [itex]10^{7}[/itex] kg/[itex]m^{2}[/itex]
This looks correct except for how you expressed the units. Pressure is force per unit area, not mass per unit area.
However I dont know what to use for the volume?
The volumes ##V_1## and ##V_2## are "specific" volumes (i.e., volumes per kg of material). Note that water is odd in that the ##V_1## (for ice) is greater than ##V_2## (for liquid water).
AlfieLord
Nov25-12, 01:08 PM
P: 2
... and the answer comes out around -1.0 degree ??

TSny
Nov25-12, 02:00 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 4,761
Thermal Physics: Ice skating temperatures

Yes..which debunks the idea that ice skates slide well on ice due to pressure causing the ice to melt and become slippery.

See http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/sc...pagewanted=all
AlfieLord
Nov25-12, 02:03 PM
P: 2
Agreed ... it is far more complex.

Register to reply