How the inner product changes under non-linear transformation

by mnb96
Tags: nonlinear, product, transformation
Share this thread:
mnb96
Nov24-12, 06:30 PM
P: 625
Hi,

if we suppose x and y are two elements of some vector space V (say ℝn), and if we consider a linear function f:V→V', we know that the inner product of the transformed vectors is given by: [tex]\left\langle f\mathbf{x} , f\mathbf{y} \right\rangle = \left\langle \mathbf{x} , \overline{f}f\mathbf{y} \right\rangle = \left\langle \overline{f}f\mathbf{x} , \mathbf{y} \right\rangle[/tex] where [itex]\overline{f}[/itex] is the adjoint operator of [itex]f[/itex].

What can we say about [itex]\left\langle f\mathbf{x} , f\mathbf{y} \right\rangle[/itex] when f is non-linear, for example a diffeomorphism ?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Muphrid
Nov25-12, 03:21 PM
P: 834
I admit I'm not well versed in stuff with manifolds and such, but isn't a diffeomorphism basically a way of mapping positions on one manifold to positions on another? If so, then ##f## is just the Jacobian of the mapping, and it is inherently dependent on position within the manifold. It's important to note that positions won't obey this transformation law, only the full, nonlinear transformation.
mnb96
Nov27-12, 12:01 PM
P: 625
Hi Muphrid,
thanks for the answer. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Register to reply