Apocalypse not

by Andre
Tags: apocalypse
Share this thread:
Andre
Nov24-12, 04:24 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,459
According to wiki, Maya scholars deny that there is any evidence for the end-of-the-world claim, on the contrary

In the last known largely unexcavated Maya megacity, archaeologists have uncovered the only known mural adorning an ancient Maya house, a new study says—and it's not just any mural.

In addition to a still vibrant scene of a king and his retinue, the walls are rife with calculations that helped ancient scribes track vast amounts of time. Contrary to the idea the Maya predicted the end of the world in 2012, the markings suggest dates thousands of years in the future....cont'd
Obviously the apocalypse is a modern invention based on 'misinformation'.
nazarbaz
Nov24-12, 05:15 AM
P: 44
Apocalypse is deeply rooted in the monotheist trail of cultures... Literally, it means revelation. While it is prophetism about the destiny of the community that prevailed in judaism, there's some sort of emphasis on the end of the world as a whole in the christian path : early christians thought that the end was imminent and this vue thrived till the european renaissance... Islam doesn't give a damn : believers can wait until god decides, as muhammad closed the doors of prophecy...
From time to time, there's a kind of resurgence of this archetypal myth which has less to do with mayas than with christianism : syncretism is at work here. But nowadays almost no one really believes it, the normal fraction of crackpots and morons excepted.
surajt88
Nov24-12, 06:41 AM
P: 76
Quote Quote by Andre View Post
Andre, obviously u r late to d party..come in & enjoy..
Chi Meson
Nov24-12, 06:48 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
... to learn,

then the first guy says:
"Well that's going to freak some people out in about 400 years."

(attributed to some other comic.)
Abstr7ct
Nov24-12, 09:42 AM
P: 17
I think that 21/12/2012 has been the most famous apocalypse date prediction globally. Movies, books, investigations, documentaries, games...etc, have been dedicated to this day. It's coming in less than one month. Until then, keep your eye on this countdown website.

http://www.december212012.com/CDC.htm

See you on 22/12/2012!
FreeMitya
Nov24-12, 11:36 AM
P: 31
According to wiki, Maya scholars deny that there is any evidence for the end-of-the-world claim, on the contrary

Not always misinformation, but sometimes just misinterpreted information. When new scientific ideas come along, there will always be a group of people who won't fully understand them and will either dismiss them or turn them into something they're not. Solar flares, super-massive black holes, and geomagnetic reversal are a few examples. To add fuel to the fire, there is also a group of people who will exploit scientific illiteracy to make money.
Rooted
Nov24-12, 12:29 PM
P: 67
Quote Quote by Abstr7ct View Post
I think that 21/12/2012 has been the most famous apocalypse date prediction globally. Movies, books, investigations, documentaries, games...etc, have been dedicated to this day. It's coming in less than one month. Until then, keep your eye on this countdown website.
Does this mean I don't have to revise for January exams? Woo-hoo!
seaofghosts
Nov24-12, 02:04 PM
P: 79
12/21/12 falls on my parents' anniversary. I've always found this hilarious.
OmCheeto
Nov24-12, 03:27 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,433

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I predicted, in 2006, that we would have a black president within 8 years?

--------------------------
I'd never heard of this "Barry" guy, so I claimed the president was going to be Colin Powell. Interpreting visions is not easy.
Andre
Nov24-12, 03:48 PM
PF Gold
P: 5,459

Anyway, back to business. Of course I realize that true believers will find a way to rationalize the failure. I found this a very informative study:

When Prophecy Fails and Faith Persists: A Theoretical Overview showing that creativity knows no boundaries explaining away, and it well exceeds the expected cognitive dissonance explanation of the failure. If it wasn't so you'd really on that.

But also a bit of an objective of this thread was, that maybe doubters also come here to read this thread, wondering what to believe, especially kids, highschool etc. After reading all this and realizing how science work, they may not buy the -no doubt- hilarious adaptation strategy of the new agers.
AnTiFreeze3
Nov24-12, 04:55 PM
P: 251
I do think that there are some people who can be reasoned with, who will ultimately change their beliefs, so long as peope persistently confront them. I look towards pastors and ministers, and other self-proclaimed holy men and women, who now dismiss the idea of an omniscient entity as evidence, and I feel as if this conversion from irrationality to rationality is a universal occurrence.

For the others, we simply need to wait for them to die and hope that their children aren't as horribly decadent as they were.
ImaLooser
Nov24-12, 07:17 PM
P: 570
Quote Quote by OmCheeto View Post

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I predicted, in 2006, that we would have a black president within 8 years?

I'd never heard of this "Barry" guy, so I claimed the president was going to be Colin Powell.Interpreting visions is not easy.
In 1969 Frank Zappa predicted a Reagan presidency.
OmCheeto
Nov24-12, 11:40 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,433
Quote Quote by ImaLooser View Post
In 1969 Frank Zappa predicted a Reagan presidency.
Really?

Btw, I also predicted that Bush would be elected to a third term. But I heard on the radio the other day that Barry is going to pull it off.

I can't get any of my details right.
Ivan Seeking
Nov25-12, 11:34 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
When December 22nd comes along, when we're all dead and the world is nothing but a smoking cinder, you all are going to feel pretty silly.
Ivan Seeking
Nov25-12, 11:41 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
I normally just listen to people and their beliefs and leave it at that. People need to believe these things. So if you actually manage to change someone's mind you won't make them happy anyway. They are happy believing what they want to believe.

The same is true of people who have more rational beliefs. When faced with evidence contrary to established beliefs, denial is the next reaction. Whether beliefs are rational or not, as we grow older, everyone is a true believer.

Wasn't it Einstein who said that physics progresses one death at a time?
phinds
Nov25-12, 11:50 AM
PF Gold
P: 6,353
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Hoarding Twinkies and waiting for the world to end.
zoobyshoe
Nov25-12, 12:28 PM
P: 5,630
I don't personally know anyone who believes the world will end this year. There was a time a few years back when it was common to hear that the Maya had predicted it would end, but everyone I know has heard by now that 2012 is just the end of a very long cycle of star/planet movements that the Maya happened to notice and decide to keep track of.
mheslep
Nov26-12, 05:16 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,098
Still I believe there is a gradual scale between passionate preaching prophets with a holy mission, strong convinced believers, just believers because friends believe it and doubters who don't speak up preventing damage to their network. It's that social mechanism that I wanted to browse and understand.

I once could convince somebody that there are no chemtrails. So all is not lost.
Great signature Andre, and apropos.

Register to reply