Looking for some literature

by vikingofsixth
Tags: literature
Share this thread:
vikingofsixth
Nov26-12, 11:14 PM
P: 3
Hello math forum,

I am an undergraduate linguistic student who has absolutely no foundations in mathematics due to a variety of factors during my earlier years. My studies in philosophy and especially linguistics has brought me back to mathematics in a wild search for something that seems hard to articulate.

I was turned away from mathematics because I believed it to be tedious computation. Personal reading of Russell has started to change my mind combined with studies in formal logic. All in all I am looking to explore math as a language hoping to find inspiration that could lead to further revelations in linguistics.

Due to personal move to another state I have a bit of gap year before I continue my college education and have plenty of time to explore new fields of knowledge. I am working to rebuild the basics of math up to calculus over the next several months but basic textbooks are very dry, though necessary, experiences.

I would love to read some actual literature on math that I might be able to digest without having a very technical knowledge yet. Anything from essays to actual books that could help influence my perception on math would be wonderful.

Thanks and enjoy the winter holidays!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
MarneMath
Nov26-12, 11:36 PM
P: 439
At times like these, I tend to recommend "What is Mathematics" by Courant http://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-El...AAAAAAAEpZAAA= . It may be beyond your level, but it's an easy enough read and will introduce you to a great deal of mathematics.
vikingofsixth
Nov27-12, 05:43 PM
P: 3
I plan on having a look on the recommendation! I would love to get more academically involved in computational linguistics once I get back into university. Until then I will be working to build a strong foundation in mathematics to complement my linguistic education.

Register to reply