Structural Fitting Problem

by trannh
Tags: fitting, structural
Share this thread:
trannh
Nov28-12, 12:59 PM
P: 11
Hello,

I am currently doing a project and have ran into a problem. I have a structural fitting (clamp-on tee) that fits around a fixed structure. I am trying to fit an aluminum pipe into it, but the pipe's outer diameter is much smaller than the clamp-on fitting. I'm attach 2 images that show what I'm describing. The first picture is the clamp-on tee. The clamp portion will go around a fixed pipe. The other section will fit the aluminum pipe. The second picture shows the pipe that will go into the tee. As you can see, it is much smaller than the tee. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can get a tighter fit. The tee has a screw to tighten the pipe but because the pipe is so small, the tightening screw cannot reach it. I know I could go with a larger alum pipe, but that is the pipe and tee that is required for this application. If anyone has any ideas, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
pic.jpg   pic2.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
Vadar2012
Nov28-12, 04:07 PM
P: 208
Could always just get a piece of larger pipe just to go on the end to fill the gap. Although the gap is pretty big, so might have to get a round bar and mill it out to fit. Kind of hard to suggest something elese witohut knowing its' application.
AlephZero
Nov28-12, 04:52 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,924
Quote Quote by trannh View Post
that is the pipe and tee that is required for this application.
... so get the right size clamp to fit both pipes. They only cost a few dollars.

trannh
Nov28-12, 07:47 PM
P: 11
Structural Fitting Problem

I can't get a smaller clamp because I need to attach the clamp to the leg of a treadmill. The leg is fixed, and that is the only clamp that will fit around that. Unfortunately, the other side of the clamp is too big for the pipe size I have. I could get a bigger pipe, but the pipe size I've chosen works best. One reason is because users will need to hang on to this pipe, so if the pipe is too thick, people won't be able to get a good grip. Also, I already have other structural fittings that fit this pipe size perfectly. The only one that doesn't fit my pipe size is that clamp. So if I was too get a bigger pipe for that clamp, I would have to re-buy all the other structural fittings. I'm stuck with those two pieces, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I can possibly do to get a nicer fit.

Thanks

Register to reply