Register to reply

AA vs. AAA vs. D

by Jd0g33
Tags: None
Share this thread:
Jd0g33
Nov29-12, 03:51 PM
P: 326
since they're all 1.5v, whats the difference between them. Do they just have different lengths of life?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Greater safety and security at Europe's train stations
Fingerprints for freight items
On the way to a safe and secure smart home
berkeman
Nov29-12, 03:56 PM
Mentor
P: 41,113
Quote Quote by lundyjb View Post
since they're all 1.5v, whats the difference between them. Do they just have different lengths of life?
Yes. Different physical sizes, so different Amp*Hour capacities. You can look at their datasheets at the battery manufacturer websites to see the differences.

You can also get them in Alkaline or rechargable types.
yungman
Nov29-12, 04:12 PM
P: 3,898
Here is a link on a lot of batteries and their Ahr or mAhr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes

NascentOxygen
Dec2-12, 07:06 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,365
AA vs. AAA vs. D

Quote Quote by lundyjb View Post
I'd expect the physically larger cells to offer a lower impedance, in addition to a longer life while powering a certain load, all other factors being equal.
Enthalpy
Dec2-12, 07:46 AM
P: 661
They use to. It is the case with AAA, AA, B, C and D alkaline and zinc cells.

It also depends on design choices. More peak power also results from more electrode surface, which can then be thinner and interleaved: this is sometimes done with Ni-Cd accumulators but usually not with alkaline cells, as it also increases the self-discharge.
Studiot
Dec2-12, 10:25 AM
P: 5,462
Do they just have different lengths of life?
I beg to differ with other esteemed posters here but what makes you think they have 'different lengths of life'?

The length of life depends upon both usage and battery electrical capacity and even upon the definition of the term 'length of life' itself.

Comparing batteries by physical size also runs into the issue of battery chemistry and terminal voltage, some are 1.2 volts some are 1.5 volts etc.

Even with the same terminal voltage chemistry influences the capacity, for instance I have a 1200 mA-hour D cell in Ni-Cad technlogy and a 2300mA-hour AA cell in NI-MH technology. Both offer a terminal voltage of 1.2 volts.

Note also that I use the term 'terminal voltage'. What do you mean by 'length of life'?
A cell will continue to power a torch or clock well beyond its usability for a digital camera.
Studiot
Dec2-12, 01:39 PM
P: 5,462
Well i was thinking of doing this myself but just haven't got around to it. What if you get two equal wires(in length, width, material ect...) and connect the + and - terminals of the batteries (separately, to themselves)? After, say, 15 minutes, i would think a D battery would have more voltage available than a triple A battery, right?
If you would like to rephrase this in English we could help.

Register to reply