Register to reply

The connection as a choice of horizontal subspace?

Share this thread:
...?
Nov29-12, 03:36 PM
P: 12
Hi,
I'm trying to understand the fiber bundle formulation of gauge theory at the moment, and I'm stuck on the connection. Every reference I've found introduces the idea of a connection on a principle bundle as a kind of partitioning of the tangent space at all points in the total space into a "vertical space" and a "horizontal space". The vertical space Vp consists of vectors in TpP which are also tangent to the fiber at p, and the horizontal space Hp is a set of vectors such that Vp+Hp=TpP.
What I don't understand is why finding Vp doesn't uniquely specify Hp. It should be possible to construct TpP without defining a connection, right? If so, wouldn't Hp just be every element of TpP that is not also in Vp? I don't see how we are free to make this partition ourselves. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks for reading!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
quasar987
Nov29-12, 06:48 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,771
Take Rē for instance, and for simplicity, assume that V = {(0,y) | y in R}. Then you're saying "take H:= Rē - V". But that's not a subspace! (Perhaps you overlooked the fact that H is supposed to be a vector subspace?)

On the other hand, H:={(x,0) | x in R} is a natural candidate... but there are (infinitely many) other choice as H:={ (x,ax) | x in R} for any a in R would do just as well.
...?
Nov29-12, 09:07 PM
P: 12
Quote Quote by quasar987 View Post
(Perhaps you overlooked the fact that H is supposed to be a vector subspace?)
Yeah, I did. I was also getting mixed up over how to take the direct sum of two vector spaces. But now I see how it all works. Cheers!

Register to reply