Gauss's law for electrodynamics

In summary: The divergence theorem states that the field inside a charged closed surface is zero. Maxwell's equations say that Gauss's law holds true even for electrodynamics. How can this be verified experimentally? Thanks in advance!
hercules68
Gauss's law can be proved qualitatively by proving that the field inside a charged closed surface is zero. However Maxwells' equations says that gauss's law holds true even for electrodynamics. how can this be verified experimentally? Thanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
Gauss's law, is a specific case of Stokes's theorem.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoke's_theorem

edit: I interpreted Gauss's law to mean the divergence theorem, which is a mathematical statement. My mistake; that would probably be called Gauss's theorem.

Last edited:
Khashishi said:
Gauss's law is a specific case of Stoke's theorem.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoke's_theorem

Gauss' law is a law of physics that relates electric charges to electric fields.

Stoke's theorem is a purely mathematical statement, like the commutative property of addition.

I am not good in definitions but I did look into Gauss Law. I really don't see the relation of Stokes and Guass. Even in Guass law for magnetism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss%27s_law_for_magnetism

It only said [itex]\nabla \cdot \vec B = 0\; [/itex] where it states there is no mono magnetic pole.

Guass law is mainly used in Divergence theorem where [itex]\nabla \cdot \vec E=\frac {\rho_v}{\epsilon}[/itex] Where:

[tex]\int_v \nabla\cdot \vec E dv'=\int_s \vec E\cdot d\vec s'=\frac Q {\epsilon}[/tex]

http://phy214uhart.wikispaces.com/Gauss%27+Law

http://phy214uhart.wikispaces.com/Gauss%27+Law

The only one that remotely relate magnetic field through a surface is:

[tex] \int_s \nabla X\vec B\cdot d\vec s'=\int_c \vec B \cdot d \vec l'= \mu I [/tex]

that relate current loop with field through the loop.

Last edited:
hercules68 said:
Gauss's law can be proved qualitatively by proving that the field inside a charged closed surface is zero. However Maxwells' equations says that gauss's law holds true even for electrodynamics. how can this be verified experimentally? Thanks in advance !
1. The charged closed surface must be a conductor.
2. I don't know of any direct experimental test for a time varying E field.
The fact that its inclusion in Maxwell's equations leads to many verifiable results is an indirect proof of its general validity.

Likes davidbenari
I just want to say that gauss law follow immediately from maxwell's fourth eqn when combined with continuity eqn for charge density.(just take the divergence)

I can't think of any direct prove on Guass surface with varying charge inside. But I cannot see anything wrong that the total electric field radiate out of a closed surface varying due to vary charge enclosed by the closed surface still obey [itex]\int_s \vec E\cdot d\vec s'[/itex].

The difference is with varying charges generating the varying electric field, a magnetic field MUST be generated to accompany the varying electric field according to:

[tex]\nabla X \vec E=-\frac{\partial \vec B}{\partial t}[/tex]

andrien said:
I just want to say that gauss law follow immediately from maxwell's fourth eqn when combined with continuity eqn for charge density.

Let us see,
c2(∇×B)=j/ε0+∂E/∂t
now,
c2{∇.(∇×B)}=∇.j/ε0+∂(∇.E)/∂t
USING ∇.j=-∂ρ/∂t and the fact that gradient of curl vanishes.
one gets,
∇.E=ρ/ε0

What is Gauss's law for electrodynamics?

Gauss's law for electrodynamics is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface.

How is Gauss's law for electrodynamics different from Gauss's law for magnetism?

While Gauss's law for electrodynamics deals with the electric flux, Gauss's law for magnetism deals with the magnetic flux. Additionally, Gauss's law for electrodynamics is a fundamental law in electromagnetism, while Gauss's law for magnetism is a special case of another fundamental law, Ampere's law.

What is the mathematical equation for Gauss's law for electrodynamics?

The mathematical equation for Gauss's law for electrodynamics is ∮SE·dA = Qenc0, where ∮SE·dA represents the electric flux, Qenc represents the enclosed charge, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

How is Gauss's law for electrodynamics applied in real-world situations?

Gauss's law for electrodynamics is used in various fields, such as electrical engineering, physics, and telecommunications, to understand and predict the behavior of electric fields in different situations. It is also used in the design of electronic devices and in the study of electromagnetic phenomena, such as lightning and radio waves.

What are the limitations of Gauss's law for electrodynamics?

Gauss's law for electrodynamics is only valid in static situations, where the electric field and charge distribution do not change over time. It also assumes that the electric field is continuous and that the enclosed charge is point-like. In more complex situations, other laws and principles, such as Ampere's law and Maxwell's equations, must be used to fully describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields.