by fluidistic
Tags: order
Share this thread:
fluidistic
Dec3-12, 04:55 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,207
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Find the general solution to ##A(x)y''+A'(x)y'+\frac{y}{A(x)}=0## where A(x) is a known function and y(x) is the unknown one.
Hint:Eliminate the term that contains the first derivative.

2. Relevant equations
Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
So I don't really know how to tackle it. I guess that the hint suggests a change of variable that would get rid of the y' term. So I tried z=y'A, z=Ay and z=y/A. All failed to express the ODE as a function of z and its derivative(s) and A and its derivative(s).
I am therefore stuck. Any other hint will be welcome!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
micromass
Dec3-12, 06:32 PM
Mentor
P: 18,330
What if you try the following substition [itex]y=Bz[/itex], where B is a known function that is yet to be decided.

What do you get if you perform this substitution?

What should we take for B if we want the z' term to vanish?
fluidistic
Dec3-12, 07:02 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
What if you try the following substition [itex]y=Bz[/itex], where B is a known function that is yet to be decided.

What do you get if you perform this substitution?
Good idea! ##x''A'B'+z'(AB+AB'+A'B)+z (A'B'+B/A)=0##.

What should we take for B if we want the z' term to vanish?
##B=Ce^{-x}/A##. I checked out and indeed the terms in front of ##z'## vanishes.
I'm left to solve ##z''A'Ce^{-x} \left ( \frac{1}{A}+ \frac{A'}{A^2} \right ) + z \left ( \frac{A'}{A} + \frac{A'^2}{A^2}- \frac{Ce^{-x}}{A^2} \right ) =0##. That really does not look beautiful/easy to me.

micromass
Dec3-12, 08:33 PM
Mentor
Second order DE

Quote Quote by fluidistic View Post
Good idea! ##x''A'B'+z'(AB+AB'+A'B)+z (A'B'+B/A)=0##.
I get something different here. I get that the term of z' is
[tex]A^\prime B + 2A B^\prime[/tex]

The form of my B is also much simpler.
fluidistic
Dec3-12, 09:01 PM
PF Gold
I get something different here. I get that the term of z' is
[tex]A^\prime B + 2A B^\prime[/tex]

The form of my B is also much simpler.
I see, I made a mistake; I don't know why I make so many of them. I reach the same as yours, so ##B=kA^{-1/2}## where k is a constant.

Edit: I might have rushed through the math but I reach that ##z''+z \left ( 1-\frac{2}{A'} \right ) =0##. Which has different solutions depending on the sign of the term in front of z. I guess I made another mistakes.
micromass
Dec3-12, 09:42 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by fluidistic View Post
I see, I made a mistake; I don't know why I make so many of them. I reach the same as yours, so ##B=kA^{-1/2}## where k is a constant.
OK, I get the same B. But there is no real need of the constant. You just need to find one single B that makes z' disappear, so you can take k=1.

Anyway, with that choice of B, what does your equation become then?
fluidistic
Dec3-12, 09:54 PM
PF Gold
OK, I get the same B. But there is no real need of the constant. You just need to find one single B that makes z' disappear, so you can take k=1.

Anyway, with that choice of B, what does your equation become then?
I now get ##B'=-\frac{1}{2}A^{-3/2}##, ##B''=\frac{3}{4}A^{-5/2}A'^2-\frac{A^{-3/2}A''}{2}##.
The equation becomes ##z''AB+z(AB''+A'B'+B/A)=0##. Now I have to replace the B and its derivatives in that.
Edit: I've just done it and it's not beautiful so far.

Register to reply