Helpful Hints about everyday things

by Drakkith
Tags: everyday, helpful hints, things
Share this thread:
Drakkith
Dec3-12, 09:52 PM
Mentor
P: 11,892
Ok...everyone list a few "Helpful Hints" about everyday things.
For example:

Put things you want to remember to take with you the next morning on top of your shoes.

Use the "Power" feature on your microwave and set it to 50%-70% to avoid having food pop and explode everywhere. (Much more effective if your microwave has an inverter)

When putting more hot water in your bathtub, use one hand to circulate the water for even heating.

Your turn!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Galteeth
Dec4-12, 01:01 AM
P: 320
I really like suggestion 1.

Here's one. If you're stuck in a traffic jam, don't speed up, break, etc. Maintain a slow constant speed. You'll save gas, and move just as fast as everybody else. People will initially honk at you, but if you stick to your guns, you can break up the traffic a little around you, especially if other people start to emulate your example. I find this is also much less stressful then the "stop and go" method.
Evo
Dec4-12, 07:19 AM
Mentor
P: 26,557
Quote Quote by Galteeth View Post
I really like suggestion 1.

Here's one. If you're stuck in a traffic jam, don't speed up, break, etc. Maintain a slow constant speed. You'll save gas, and move just as fast as everybody else. People will initially honk at you, but if you stick to your guns, you can break up the traffic a little around you, especially if other people start to emulate your example. I find this is also much less stressful then the "stop and go" method.
Oh no, are you the one ahead of me that drives slow in a jam and people keep cutting in front of you so that I finally have to make a desperate/dangerous move to get out from behind you so I can make some progress?

George Jones
Dec4-12, 08:58 AM
Mentor
P: 6,246
Helpful Hints about everyday things

Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
Ok...everyone list a few "Helpful Hints" about everyday things.
For example:

Put things you want to remember to take with you the next morning on top of your shoes.

Use the "Power" feature on your microwave and set it to 50%-70% to avoid having food pop and explode everywhere. (Much more effective if your microwave has an inverter)

When putting more hot water in your bathtub, use one hand to circulate the water for even heating.

Your turn!
I regularly use suggestions two and three, and I use a modified version of your first suggestion.

I often keep my shoes/snow boots outside my door, so leaving my laptop by my boots is not advisable. I carry a backpack to and from work everyday, and I put stuff that I don't want to forget on/in my backpack the night before.

I walk 20 - 25 minutes to a coffee shop every morning, and, before I leave, I check the weather, so that I know what to wear. Appropriate dress is the key to an enjoyable walk; inappropriate dress makes a much bigger difference for a 25 minute walk than it does for a 25 minute "indoor" car ride!

I don't mind if the temperature is -30 C (-22 F) or colder, as long as I am wearing a sweater and my warmest coat (parka). If however, the temperature is only -10 C (14 F), then a sweater and my parker is far too warm.
Jimmy Snyder
Dec4-12, 09:11 AM
P: 2,179
Now where did I put those shoes?

Register to reply