Who didn't say it?

by BobG
Tags: None
Share this thread:
zoobyshoe
Dec6-12, 09:41 PM
P: 5,630
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
"Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt".
I've seen this attributed to Mark Twain many times.
BobG
Dec6-12, 10:10 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
"Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt".
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
I've seen this attributed to Mark Twain many times.
It's most often attributed to Mark Twain... plus to Abraham Lincoln, Confuscious, George Eliot.... and any of them could have said it in private conversation, or something very similar, but none of them said this in any of their published works.

Its source probably comes from this:

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding." -- Bible, 'Proverbs' 17:28
jedishrfu
Dec6-12, 11:03 PM
P: 2,996
On the early Civil War Winchester rifle:

That darn Yankee rifle that you load on Sunday and shoot all week long.
micromass
Dec6-12, 11:05 PM
Mentor
P: 18,323
"Well, that escalated quickly"
ImaLooser
Dec6-12, 11:12 PM
P: 570
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
[itex]E = mc^2[/itex]

Spoiler
What he actually wrote was
If a body gives off the energy L in the form of radiation, its mass diminishes
by L/V^2 (V was the symbol he used for c)
That's what he wrote in his 1905 paper. In 1929 he was quoted as saying conversion of much mass to energy was unrealistic. He did use E=mc^2 later.
micromass
Dec6-12, 11:14 PM
Mentor
P: 18,323
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
Ibix
Dec7-12, 12:38 AM
P: 378
'Beam me up, Scotty'
zoobyshoe
Dec7-12, 02:02 AM
P: 5,630
This quote got misattributed to a famous man who quoted it in a speech:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. "
BobG
Dec7-12, 05:38 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
This quote got misattributed to a famous man who quoted it in a speech:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. "
Nelson Mandela. It doesn't surprise me that he wouldn't be the originator of the quote, since a famous person quoting a less famous person tends to link the quote to the person people remember (just like songs - how many people know the songwriter?). What surprises me is that he apparently never used this in a speech at all.

Who did say it? Marrianne Williamson in her book, "A Return to Love".

Williamson reveals how we each can become a miracle worker by accepting God and by the expression of love in our daily lives. Does that quote sound different based on who its attributed to and based on its context?
BobG
Dec7-12, 05:43 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Okay, one that a famous politician actually did quote, even though the quote is not attributed to him (the politician also attributed it to the wrong person, which actually isn't surprising knowing the politician).

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.
lisab
Dec7-12, 09:13 AM
Mentor
P: 2,990
Who did say it? Marrianne Williamson in her book, "A Return to Love".

Williamson reveals how we each can become a miracle worker by accepting God and by the expression of love in our daily lives. Does that quote sound different based on who its attributed to and based on its context?
I can't believe I actually knew that! I read that book when I was pregnant, and I recall I was really moved by that exact quote, "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." Even as an atheist I find it very inspiring.
Borg
Dec7-12, 10:18 AM
PF Gold
P: 771
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
As Abraham Lincoln once said, "People are often misquoted on the Internet."
BobG
Dec7-12, 10:37 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
However, the printed word can always be trusted.

Therefore, my suggestion is for you to simply print the quotes you find on the internet. Once printed, they have to be true.
Evo
Dec7-12, 10:43 AM
Mentor
P: 26,552
However, the printed word can always be trusted.

Therefore, my suggestion is for you to simply print the quotes you find on the internet. Once printed, they have to be true.
Lol.
BobG
Dec7-12, 11:24 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
"Well, that escalated quickly"
Andrew McGillicutty.

Earlier in the day, my daughter and I were on the escalator at the Crossroads Mall in Omaha when it suddenly stopped, leaving us trapped between floors. I yelled for help, leaving my teenage daughter caught in the unresolvable conundrum of whether to die of embarrassment or to die of laughter. Fortunately, we were rescued unharmed.

Andrew McGillicutty was the first person to use the escalator after it was repaired. Apparently, the repair was a bit too effective, launching him into a parabolic trajectory, right into the plate glass window of the Old Navy store. All of the sounds coming out of Andrew McGillicutty's mouth were completely incomprehensible, making it impossible to know what he was saying.

It was the escalator repairman, David Aircroft, that said, "Hmm, that escalated quickly."

(Okay, I admit I have no idea who didn't say it, but my teenage daughter and I really were once trapped between floors on an escalator at the Crossroads Mall.)
jedishrfu
Dec7-12, 11:40 AM
P: 2,996
ANYWAY

People are unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered, LOVE THEM ANYWAY

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives, DO GOOD ANYWAY

If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies, SUCCEED ANYWAY

The good you do will be forgotten tomorrow, DO GOOD ANYWAY

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable, BE HONEST AND FRANK ANYWAY

What you spent years building may be destroyed overnight BUILD ANYWAY

People really need help but may attack you if you help them, HELP PEOPLE ANYWAY

Give the world the best you have And you'll get kicked in the teeth,
GIVE THE WORLD THE BEST YOU'VE GOT ANYWAY.

found on a wall in a children's home in Calcutta and attributed to Mother Teresa
but was written by another

Spoiler
'www.paradoxicalcommandments.com/mother-teresa-connection.html'
Pythagorean
Dec7-12, 11:43 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,287
"Sleep, those little slices of death: oh, how I loathe them."
Borek
Dec7-12, 11:52 AM
Admin
P: 23,592