The Food Thread

by arunbg
Tags: cheese, evo, food, ninfa, recipes
Share this thread:
turbo
Dec4-12, 02:32 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Seat of the Pants Soup. If you want to make an incredible soup and don't mind working without a detailed recipe, here you go.

Cube-cut a decent steak, and mince some yellow onions and garlic. Put the steak, onions, and garlic in the bottom of a hot soup-pot with peanut oil, and sear everything. Add a large can of ground sauce tomatoes ( I like Contadina) and a little water, plus the drained contents of a medium-sized can of black beans.

Now is the time to add barley, chopped carrots, frozen string beans and frozen whole-kernel corn. For a hearty soup, cumin and some cayenne should be in the mix, too. If the soup is a bit too runny, consider adding a small can of tomato paste and simmering longer, but consider that the barley will thicken the soup. I don't like to salt soups, because once the salt is in, you can't take it out. Ground celery seed can be a good addition.
Hygeio
Dec9-12, 01:47 PM
P: n/a
im so happy you guys had an extraordinary experience food wise in Peru. i will share you how to make ceviche. It is one of the easiest dishes you will ever make.

INGREDIENTS:

1. Freshness. THIS is the most important thing for a ceviche. The fish needs to be day caught and never frozen. The best fish to use for ceviche is pacific ocean flounder. 2nd alternative is 'corvina' or white sea bass.

2.The limes should be key west lime, since we are in the US, or try finding Mexican lemons that are really small about 2 inches. *Edit. if you are able to find, for some miracle, peruvian 'piura' lemons, those are the lemons you should use for ceviche. *

3. Red Onion. 1 per fish will do.

4. kosher salt, white pepper (or black).

5. OPTIONAL: 'Rocoto' or 'aji amarillo' if you cant find any of these, you can try using jalapenos.

Thats it...

Steps.

1. you'll need ~7-10 lemons per fish. (This is where you have to experiment, since fishes vary in size and lemons vary in liquid.)

1a. Squeeze lemons into bowl.Dont squeeze the lemons fully, because when you do, the outer shell *the rind*, which is bitter, also gets squeezed into the bowl.

1b. set aside.

1c. Cut the onions as thinly as you can. put into some kind of strainer. Add lots of salt on top of it and mix well. Leave in sink.

2. Cut the fish in cubes approx. 1/2 - 1 inch cubes. uniformity is key.

2a. place into a bowl. big enough bowl to move the fish freely for tossing.

3. OPTIONAL: if you're going to use any of the chili peppers I posted. Cut the chili in the middle and just rub the cut portion along the wall of the bowl. Make circles along the bowl to get the spiciness. (the longer you do this, the spicier it will get. adjust accordingly.)

3a. after 10-15 minutes water the salt away from the onions. use your hand to squeeze the onions' water. or you can use a salad spinner.

3b. add onions to where fish is.

4. splash in some lemon juice and use a wooden spoon to fold the fish over the liquid.

4a. add your salt and pepper to taste.

4b. continue to add lemon juice until the fish can no longer soak up the liquid. you can still add more lemon juice it will not 'destroy' the dish but the fish will no longer absorb more lemon juice. you can use the rest of the lemon, if there's any left over, to make a 'salsa criolla'. (ill post later if people are interested).

5. SERVE IMMEDIATELY. Some recipes will tell you to cook the fish in lemon 30 minutes. but dont. you want the fish taste and not the overpowering of lemon 'cooking' the fish.

Super Easy. Told ya. Hopefully, this makes sense. I'll answer any questions.
Evo
Dec9-12, 02:02 PM
Mentor
P: 26,474
And to guarantee that you don't ingest live parasites from the fish, make sure the fish was frozen first.

http://seafoodhealthfacts.org/seafoo.../parasites.php
Hygeio
Dec9-12, 02:06 PM
If you are weary about parasites, I guess go for frozen. I will never do that. Been eating ceviche for 25 years the same way and im still ticking. :)
Evo
Dec9-12, 02:11 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Hygeio View Post
If you are weary about parasites, I guess go for frozen. I will never do that. Been eating ceviche for 25 years the same way and im still ticking. :)
So was the person on tv last week, until the worm made it into their brain.

Here's a nice video about worms from raw fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKM7LacSfBQ
Hygeio
Dec9-12, 02:15 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
So was the person on tv last week, until the worm made it into their brain.
ha! maybe the worm is typing this sentence.
Monique
Dec10-12, 03:02 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Flash-frozen fish is also fresh, I'd even say fresher since in places the law dictates that the fish needs to be frozen on the boat right after it's caught.

I have a colleague who has no problem eating sushi that has been sitting in the grocery store fresh food aisle for days, I don't know.. I just think something is very wrong with that
Hygeio
Dec10-12, 10:54 AM
ya i will not eat fish after 2-3 days caught. (if kept in the fridge) a large population of japanese eat raw fish and they are fine. responsibly farmed fish is also a good route. buying from whole foods for example, you can be sure they are buying from responsible farmers.
Evo
Dec22-12, 09:38 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Hygeio View Post
ya i will not eat fish after 2-3 days caught. (if kept in the fridge) a large population of japanese eat raw fish and they are fine. responsibly farmed fish is also a good route. buying from whole foods for example, you can be sure they are buying from responsible farmers.
On Top Chef tv show, they had to throw out all of the shrimp they bought from Whole Foods, it was spoiled.

I won't buy from Whole foods, the produce I bought on several occasions had fruit lies. Had to throw everything out and spray the house, every time. No more.
Ivan Seeking
Dec22-12, 10:57 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Whoa ho ho! I just discovered these last night and they taste just like the real thing!!!

and this is awesome

But to me, this stuff tastes tart - not good at all.

But that's okay because this stuff is fantastic!

And so is this

HeLiXe
Dec22-12, 11:12 PM
P: 410
Hmm.... nice signature...be prepared for an attack when Hostess soon goes out of business
Monique
Dec23-12, 01:25 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Whoa ho ho! I just discovered these last night and they taste just like the real thing!!!

[..]

And so is this

How do they get away with calling a product composed primarily of the oligosaccharide maltodextrin (glucose polymer), sugar free? It's converted into sugar the moment it enters the mouth, I hope diabetics are not reading those marketing slogans.
Ivan Seeking
Dec23-12, 02:17 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
How do they get away with calling a product composed primarily of the oligosaccharide maltodextrin (glucose polymer), sugar free? It's converted into sugar the moment it enters the mouth, I hope diabetics are not reading those marketing slogans.
The total grams of carbs are indicated, including sugar alcohols, which is the bottom line. But the equivalent content of sugar is still signficantly lower than regular treats.

Typically it is suggested that a 50% multiplier be used for the sugar equivalent of sugar alcohols.
Monique
Dec23-12, 03:22 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
The total grams of carbs are indicated, including sugar alcohols, which is the bottom line. But the equivalent content of sugar is still signficantly lower than regular treats.

Typically it is suggested that a 50% multiplier be used for the sugar equivalent of sugar alcohols.
Good thing that nutritional facts must be listed. I checked the sugar content of the regular vs sugar-free product, which is 41% vs 40%. Maltodextrose is easily digested, so where does the 50% multiplier come from?

http://www.smuckers.com/products/Pro...2&flavorId=749
http://www.smuckers.com/products/Pro...=8&flavorId=55

They should call the sugar-free brand fat-free, that would actually be true..
dlgoff
Jan13-13, 03:26 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,704
I had no idea how good making a sire fry out of a smoked pork loin could be. Last summer I froze back a loin I smoked that I sliced up and stir fried with veggies. OMG Soooo gooood.
Monique
Jan15-13, 03:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
This saturday I'm having guests over for dinner, with the requirement of no egg, no dairy products, no tomato, no animal protein and two young kids that have their heart on their tongues

I have the first course covered, a beet/carrot soup that will be sweet with natural sugars. Now, for mains I'll probably make chickpeas with purple sweet potato and rocket.

My mind is boggled over the dessert... the only thing that comes to mind is a fruit salad, but it's January and thus not much is in season. Any ideas here for relatively simple desserts without eggs or dairy?
Andre
Jan15-13, 04:50 PM
PF Gold
P: 5,458
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
Any ideas here for relatively simple desserts without eggs or dairy?
stoofpeertjes?, (stewed pears)?
Monique
Jan16-13, 01:16 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Good idea. Somehow I disregarded it since it requires wine (the kids are ~6 & 8), but all the alcohol should evaporate (and I could use juice as in the second recipe). My mom used to make stewed pears for dinner, with boiled potatoes and breaded chicken.. yummy!

Register to reply