Carbon Brushes are Graphite right?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of carbon brushes as a substitute for pure graphite tubes for a heating element. The expert explains that brushes are a mixture of carbon, graphite, and binders and are not as pure as graphite tubes. They also mention that the design and resistance of brushes may not be suitable for use as a heating element. Other options, such as using carbon rods from old batteries or a thick pencil core, are suggested as possible alternatives. The expert advises specifying power and operating voltage in order to determine if using a pencil lead as a heating element would be feasible.
Panthera Leo
Carbon Brushes are Graphite ... right?

I was wondering if the carbon brushes are graphite? and if yes how pure?
These days I am in Sri Lanka and can't find any seller offering pure graphite tubes, to be used as a heating element.

So I though what if... I could use these carbon brushes instead as a cheap & fast alternative until I get one from abroad... lol

It's not a cleaver thought but any chance it could work?!

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org

What resistance do you need? By design, brushes are short and fat and have as low a resistance as possible. A heating element needs to have high enough resistance to dissipate the power you require.- hence, long and thin (ish).

Brushes are not pure graphite, by a long way - They are a mixture of carbon, graphite and a collection of binders to "glue" them together. They are baked (sintered) during manufacture. When they are running inside a motor, some of those other chemicals are liberated and act as a lubricant between the brush and the commutator... one of those lubricants, I believe, is plain old water.

I wonder if a thick pencil core would work?

Yes, in principle - I have done it. You need to specify how much power you want and what your operating voltage will be before you can expect a quantitative answer but you can definitely get a pencil lead too hot to touch!

1. What are carbon brushes made of?

Carbon brushes are typically made of a mixture of carbon and graphite, with other materials such as copper and metal powders added for strength and conductivity.

2. Are carbon brushes and graphite the same thing?

No, carbon brushes are made of a mixture of carbon and graphite, but they are not the same thing. Graphite is a specific type of carbon with a layered structure, while carbon brushes also contain other materials such as binders and fillers.

3. How do carbon brushes work?

Carbon brushes are used to transfer electrical current between a stationary and a rotating part in a motor or generator. When the motor is running, the carbon brushes make contact with the commutator or slip rings and conduct the current, allowing the motor to function.

4. How long do carbon brushes last?

The lifespan of carbon brushes can vary depending on the application and usage. In general, they can last anywhere from 6 months to several years. Proper maintenance and regular replacement when needed can help prolong their lifespan.

5. Can carbon brushes be replaced?

Yes, carbon brushes can be replaced when they wear out or become damaged. It is important to use the correct size and type of carbon brush for your specific motor or generator to ensure proper functioning and longevity.