Register to reply

Minimum amount of power need to charge a li-ion battery

by drprofesorxjr
Tags: battery, charge, liion, minimum, power
Share this thread:
drprofesorxjr
Dec10-12, 10:00 PM
P: 2
What is the minimum amount of power needed to charge a small lithium ion battery of 3.4 V and 2100 mAh?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
Research project on accident-avoiding vehicle concluded
Smaller artificial magnetic conductors allow for more compact antenna hardware
Runei
Dec11-12, 03:24 AM
P: 140
A li-ion battery requires a special charging cycle!!

It is DANGEROUS to just connect it to a power supply!

Look at the site http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ion_batteries if you wanna learn more.

Most li-ion chargers have specialized charging circuits that take care of security, overvoltage, short circuits and such.

Be VERY careful with li-ion, they explode, they burn, they are not toys.
drprofesorxjr
Dec11-12, 03:33 PM
P: 2
Thanks for the reply. I mean what is the minimum amount of current that can be used to charge a small li-ion battery?

Runei
Dec12-12, 06:39 AM
P: 140
Minimum amount of power need to charge a li-ion battery

I would recommend you read through the link I sent. It specifies a charge current of 1 amp in the beginning. When the battery reaches its voltage the current is decreased until you see a special drop in the voltage across the battery.

But read from the link and learn. Those guys know what they are talking about :)
gnurf
Dec12-12, 09:28 AM
P: 330
You don't have to charge with 1A or whatever. I also doubt the 'constant-current' phase of the charge cycle really has to be constant. The point, as I see it, is to charge the cell with a current source (whatever it may be) until it reaches its float voltage at which point any further increase in voltage might and eventually will damage the cell. I can't see why there would be an inherent lower limit on the charge current.
justsomeguy
Dec12-12, 10:25 AM
P: 166
There is more information here: http://www.microchip.com/stellent/gr...n/en028061.pdf

I don't believe there is a minimum current level needed though I don't have the patience personally to test and find out if an extremely low current like 1-50ma actually works in practice.

Register to reply