Register to reply

Minimum amount of power need to charge a li-ion battery

by drprofesorxjr
Tags: battery, charge, liion, minimum, power
Share this thread:
drprofesorxjr
Dec10-12, 10:00 PM
P: 2
What is the minimum amount of power needed to charge a small lithium ion battery of 3.4 V and 2100 mAh?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Tiny UAVs and hummingbirds are put to test
Britain to trial driverless cars from 2015
NIST corrosion lab tests suggest need for underground gas tank retrofits
Runei
Dec11-12, 03:24 AM
P: 140
A li-ion battery requires a special charging cycle!!

It is DANGEROUS to just connect it to a power supply!

Look at the site http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ion_batteries if you wanna learn more.

Most li-ion chargers have specialized charging circuits that take care of security, overvoltage, short circuits and such.

Be VERY careful with li-ion, they explode, they burn, they are not toys.
drprofesorxjr
Dec11-12, 03:33 PM
P: 2
Thanks for the reply. I mean what is the minimum amount of current that can be used to charge a small li-ion battery?

Runei
Dec12-12, 06:39 AM
P: 140
Minimum amount of power need to charge a li-ion battery

I would recommend you read through the link I sent. It specifies a charge current of 1 amp in the beginning. When the battery reaches its voltage the current is decreased until you see a special drop in the voltage across the battery.

But read from the link and learn. Those guys know what they are talking about :)
gnurf
Dec12-12, 09:28 AM
P: 330
You don't have to charge with 1A or whatever. I also doubt the 'constant-current' phase of the charge cycle really has to be constant. The point, as I see it, is to charge the cell with a current source (whatever it may be) until it reaches its float voltage at which point any further increase in voltage might and eventually will damage the cell. I can't see why there would be an inherent lower limit on the charge current.
justsomeguy
Dec12-12, 10:25 AM
P: 166
There is more information here: http://www.microchip.com/stellent/gr...n/en028061.pdf

I don't believe there is a minimum current level needed though I don't have the patience personally to test and find out if an extremely low current like 1-50ma actually works in practice.

Register to reply