Register to reply

Infinite energy?!

by sinr0202
Tags: energy, infinite
Share this thread:
sinr0202
Dec12-12, 04:25 AM
P: 5
I am currently studying angular momentum and precession. If you suppose that you had a frictionless gyroscope with the flywheel spinning, thus precessing, could you harness the torque (converted to kinetic energy) generated about the axis of precession? since the force is generated by gravity it seems possible to me.. but then again that fails logic -____-; can someone explain to me why i am wrong?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Symphony of nanoplasmonic and optical resonators produces laser-like light emission
Do we live in a 2-D hologram? New Fermilab experiment will test the nature of the universe
Duality principle is 'safe and sound': Researchers clear up apparent violation of wave-particle duality
K^2
Dec12-12, 04:49 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,470
If gyro applies torque to generator, generator applies opposite torque on gyro. What is the direction of this torque vector? How will the gyro respond to torque in that direction? If you answer these questions correctly, it will become clear why this resource of energy is finite.
sinr0202
Dec12-12, 05:06 AM
Quote Quote by K^2 View Post
If gyro applies torque to generator, generator applies opposite torque on gyro. What is the direction of this torque vector? How will the gyro respond to torque in that direction? If you answer these questions correctly, it will become clear why this resource of energy is finite.
If the torque is in the opposite direction, the precession does not continue, thus it will not be able to change the direction of the angular momentum, and nutation follows. does it just fall then?

K^2
Dec12-12, 05:15 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,470
Infinite energy?!

Precession does continue, actually. Keep in mind that gyro does not rotate in direction of torque. That's kind of the whole reason there is precession. So figure out where the net torque points and new direction of precession.
sinr0202
Dec12-12, 01:24 PM
Quote Quote by K^2 View Post
Precession does continue, actually. Keep in mind that gyro does not rotate in direction of torque. That's kind of the whole reason there is precession. So figure out where the net torque points and new direction of precession.
I have a feeling that the reaction torque will not allow the change in angular momentum to be as much as it would without that reaction torque. But precession must continue.. hmm I'm quite clueless to what happens

Register to reply