Register to reply

What schools accept mid level Physics GRE scores?

by wotanub
Tags: accept, physics, schools, scores
Share this thread:
wotanub
Sep28-12, 10:09 PM
P: 218
I'm applying to grad school this season. I've been preparing for the October PGRE for a few weeks non-stop and my scores are basically hitting a brick wall in the 50th percentile. I basically spend all my free time studying and I'm getting tired.

Know I've got a good shot at the top schools if I can get up to mid 70s (I have lots of research experience, 4.0GPA, good reccomenders, etc), but right now I feel like they'll look at my pgre score and throw my app in the trash. I guess my school's physics curriculum is sub standard.

What are some schools to look at that I can get into with ~50th percentile? I'm trying to go into quantum information experiment.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Vanadium 50
Sep29-12, 08:30 AM
Mentor
P: 16,385
It's impossible to guess what will be going through a particular admissions committee's mind. Sometimes they focus more on one aspect of a portfolio and sometimes another.
javaNut
Dec13-12, 04:13 PM
P: 37
Quote Quote by wotanub View Post
I'm applying to grad school this season....in the 50th percentile.

I have lots of research experience, 4.0GPA, good reccomenders, etc)
There is A LOT of AMO going on here at U Arizona, and I know a few physics grads whose PGREs were ~50%. I know one professor's lab does some QI stuff (but you have have to research it further to see if it is what you are after). I believe that what is most important to our acceptance committee is usually having extensive undergrad research. And be prepared, if you interview/speak with an experimentalist prof as they will want to know about ALL the hands-on experimental research you have done (so organize your work ahead of time).

javaNut
Dec13-12, 04:45 PM
P: 37
What schools accept mid level Physics GRE scores?

Basically, the worry is that people below 50% often struggle with the comps, and there is very little chance of getting in if you are in the 20's. To be honest, I have seen monster test takers who were lousy physicists, and people who really struggled with test-taking who churned out 1st author paper after paper. So I really do agree with our department's perspective in evaluating each applicant's entire body of work (even though I myself am a monster test taker). Best of luck!
Ai52487963
Dec13-12, 08:43 PM
P: 115
A non-exhaustive, rule-of-thumb list of schools for various PGRE ranges from 2011 statistics
wotanub
Dec14-12, 09:06 PM
P: 218
Well I guess I'll post an update. I didn't do as bad as I thought I would. My official score is 760, 67%. Not the greatest, but I think I've got a shot with all other things considered judging from that interesting list in the post above this one.

Register to reply