19-gon and Pigeonhole principle

• Thread starter Numeriprimi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, the question asks if it is possible to choose seven vertices from a regular 19-gon, where four of them form a trapezoid. The solution involves using the pigeonhole principle and considering the number of possible connections between the vertices. There are 19 families of parallel lines, so it is possible to choose seven vertices without creating a parallel connection.
Numeriprimi
Hey!
I have got some question for you.

Decide if you can choose seven tops of the regular 19-gon and four of them are tops of trapezoid.
(I think - Pigeonhole principle, but how?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Numeriprimi! :smile:

What do you mean by "tops"? :confused:

I think he means the vertices. How I would try to prove it. Feel free to stop reading once you think that you have the answer...

1) A trapezoid is defined by having two parallel sides. So you want to construct a set of points and none of the connections between the points are to be parallel.

2) If we numerate the points we can start forming all the families of parallel lines.

3) If we enumerate in a circle one family is {(2,19),(3,18),(4,17),(5,16),..., (10,11)} You see that even one "length 1" pair is included.

4) There are 19 of these families, and they account for all the possible connections there are.

5) The possible connections between n points are (n^2-n)/2

6) Pidgeonhole

Yes, I mean vertices... Sorry for my English because is quite hard to choose right word with same meaning in my language when is a lot of words :-)

So, I will read and understand your answer after school because I going to sleep. Then I will write when I won't understand you.

For now... thanks very much :-)

Numeriprimi. You PM me, but maybe others are interested in the answer as well. So I'll discuss the questions here. I hope that is ok.
I understand to 4), it is okay, but no 5) and 6). How you know it and how do you prove it for choose seven of them?

A connection between two points is the same whether it is between say points (1,2) and or (2,1). Connections between a point and itself (1,1) don't count. There is more than one way to count the number of unordered dissimilar pairs of N numbers. What I did was taking a square NxN matrix, which has N^2 entries. Remove the diagonal where the indices are identical, and then take half of what is left. Similar to a distance table like this http://www.kznded.gov.za/portals/0/eim/durban_film_office/Distance-table.html where you can see the distances between any two South African cities in the table, and there are no double entries.

So between 7 points there are (7*7-7)/2=21 connections. If two of them are in parallel you are done. Connections are in parallel if they are in the same family. There are only 19 families.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a 19-gon?

A 19-gon is a polygon with 19 sides and 19 angles. It is a regular polygon, meaning that all of its sides and angles are equal in measure.

2. What is the Pigeonhole Principle?

The Pigeonhole Principle is a mathematical principle that states if there are more pigeons than pigeonholes, at least one pigeonhole must contain more than one pigeon. In other words, if there are more objects than there are options or spaces to put them in, then there must be at least one option or space with more than one object.

3. How is the Pigeonhole Principle related to a 19-gon?

The Pigeonhole Principle can be applied to a 19-gon by imagining the sides of the polygon as pigeonholes and the angles as pigeons. Since a 19-gon has 19 angles, but only 18 sides, by the Pigeonhole Principle, there must be at least two angles that have the same measure.

4. What is the significance of the Pigeonhole Principle in mathematics?

The Pigeonhole Principle is a fundamental principle in mathematics and is often used in proofs and problem-solving. It helps to establish patterns and find solutions to problems by showing that some possibilities are impossible or that certain outcomes must occur.

5. Can the Pigeonhole Principle be applied to other shapes or situations?

Yes, the Pigeonhole Principle can be applied to any situation where there are more objects than there are options or spaces to put them in. It can be applied to other shapes, such as triangles or squares, as well as real-world scenarios, such as assigning students to classrooms or scheduling tasks for a day.